anyone use any? Improvement?

thanks,
Al

Ogremccloud
08-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I am interested in this as well

sinman
08-15-2013, 03:38 PM
What kind of improvement are you looking for? You might not ever see any, and that is because you as a person can't shoot better than your rifle already does. Your current bolt head might be as true as a new one. You might have something else limiting the maximum accuracy potential of your rifle. Lots of factors go into making a rifle shoot, replacing one might not even yield a difference. If you are building a complete custom with top notch parts get one, if you have a completely factory rifle and thinking by changing the bolt head is going to make it into a bench gun you might be upset.

gpb11
08-15-2013, 06:29 PM
I received my PTG bolt head last week. I bought it because I'm putting together a rifle in 30 Remington which is the same bolt head size as the 6.8 SPC. I got the PTG bolt head because it was one of the few, if not only, companies that offered that size.

It's a nicely done piece of work, but I expect that the barrel I chose will have a far greater influence on the end accuracy of the rifle than the bolt head will have.

teele1
08-15-2013, 08:30 PM
have 3 love them

old_dood
08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
What kind of improvement are you looking for? You might not ever see any, and that is because you as a person can't shoot better than your rifle already does. Your current bolt head might be as true as a new one. You might have something else limiting the maximum accuracy potential of your rifle. Lots of factors go into making a rifle shoot, replacing one might not even yield a difference. If you are building a complete custom with top notch parts get one, if you have a completely factory rifle and thinking by changing the bolt head is going to make it into a bench gun you might be upset.

with my 12 LRPV in .223 I always get cratering of the primers, no matter the load, even the mildest. I've noticed that the FP hole is larger on the bolt than the one in my 12 6mmbr. I thought the larger hole might be contributing to the primer cratering.

452b300
08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Do need to true the aftermarket bolt heads?

sinman
08-16-2013, 08:48 AM
with my 12 LRPV in .223 I always get cratering of the primers, no matter the load, even the mildest. I've noticed that the FP hole is larger on the bolt than the one in my 12 6mmbr. I thought the larger hole might be contributing to the primer cratering.

That very well could be and the face could be untrue also. Good reason to replace it.

BillPa
08-16-2013, 12:18 PM

99% of the time cratering is a combination of the firing pin tip profile and a slight chamfer on the edge of the pin hole. The pin tips are ground more on a long taper, not a radius allowing a gap between the tip and hole.

http://i49.tinypic.com/mj5hz.jpg

The pin on the left is factory, the one on the right ground to a radius.

The same pins both set to .020" protrusion or about the amount a primer stops the firing pin.
Factory (L) Re-ground
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ur0aaw.jpg http://i48.tinypic.com/2e3oq5s.jpg

Bill

Ring
08-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Do need to true the aftermarket bolt heads?

not on the PTG

brasse
08-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I got my 6.8 bolt head from PTG 8 months ago. They discontinued them, glad you got one as there is a demand from the 6.8 SPC AR (MSR) groups that want the 6.8 in a bolt rifle.