PDA

View Full Version : New shooter help --- Which solution first? Lower mounts or cheek-riser?

acnewman55
08-14-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm new to shooting rifles. Just purchased my first one (Savage 116 hunter XP .308) earlier this year to use for hunting this fall. I am using the same cheapo Nikon 3-9x40 and rings that came with the package. Also rocking the Savage Accustock Tupperware.

When I shoulder my rifle and get to a solid cheek-weld, I am unable to see through my scope. I have to slide the stock lower down my cheek to get a good sight picture, so that instead of resting just under my cheekbone, the comb is resting about mid-jaw. Pretty sure I need to either lower my scope or add a cheek-rise of some sort to align my eye with the scope with a proper cheek weld. I'm looking for solutions, but I'm unsure which to try first.

I'm going to be hunting in some pretty rough country, and I think it would be wise to spend some money on some better bases/rings than the stock xp package setup to make sure I'm maintaining zero while hiking into my hunting area. I'm leaning towards the Talley Lightweight one-piece alloy scope mounts because I hear they are lightweight and solid. I believe I will be able to mount my scope quite a bit lower with these, which may fix my issue entirely. Are there other options I should be looking at?

The other option would be to leave my current base/rings and get a riser or pad for the stock that would allow me to get a more comfortable cheek weld while looking through the scope. I have read good things about these adjustable Karsten cheek risers, but I don't know how well these would work on the accustock? I'm concerned about the weight this will add to my rifle.

Which would be the best solution to start with?

Keeping weight down is a priority.

Thanks

missed
08-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Cheek riser, I just bought a piece of Kydex and taped a 1/2" piece of PVC PIPE to the top of the stock, heated it up with the heat gun, formed it to the stock, screwed it to the stock and good to go. And $50 less than the Karsten.

davemuzz
08-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Here's a pic of the Karsten that I installed on my Savage Carbine .223 Accustock. It was easy to install and I love how it works.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/photo11-1.jpg

CharlieNC
08-14-2013, 04:26 PM
If your rings are too tall you should certainly get the proper height; Warne and Weaver among others make good mid-price rings. Then if necessary tape layers of dense foam or similar material on the stock until you get the perfect fit; top that off with a nylon cover that you can order from many suppliers for a few bucks (include bullet rings, zip pouch, etc as you see fit); makes for a very comfortable cheek weld.

HoytFlinger
08-24-2013, 09:27 AM
I put one made by Southwest Precision on my FN, I know not a Savage, but it is excellent and was right at $50 shipped.