PDA

View Full Version : Atomic 308 win match 168 gr Nosler Custom Comp: Cindarella ammo?

Pages : [1] 2

thermaler
08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
I had planned on getting a longer day today out on the range but got shut down by winds and rain. Nonetheless, I finally got to try this stuff out. I have to say that this stuff is the crappiest-looking ammo I have ever bought--and I have bought some really ugly eastern block stuff : )

The cases are generally old LC milsurp-looking stuff that Atomic calls new brass. Have no idea how they can call it that. Cases are extensively blemished and it looks to me like either neck tension and/or neck chamfering is poorly done--or not done at all since the majority of bullets are scored when seated, leaving grooves and small chunks of copper on the sides of the bullets. I spent an evening with polishing grit cloth and buffed down each round while watching Boondock Saints which helped the chore go by pleasantly. : )

Here are the very first 5-shot groupings as delivered by my Axis 308. Quite remarkable considering how pathetic the ammo looked upon delivery. I'm guessing that Nosler bullet is one hell of a good bullet. : )

Here's the first group:
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/triggerpull/atomic1_zps5e7b384a.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/triggerpull/media/atomic1_zps5e7b384a.jpg.html)

and here is the second:
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/triggerpull/atomic2_zps2bb74172.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/triggerpull/media/atomic2_zps2bb74172.jpg.html)

stomp442
08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Wow nice shooting. I love lake city brass and always spend the time to clean it up and prep it because its that good.

thermaler
08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Wow nice shooting. I love lake city brass and always spend the time to clean it up and prep it because its that good.Thanx--I've never much cared for it myself--the 5.56 stuff is very average out of my AR's--but this stuff is really surprising.

stomp442
08-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah the 5.56 stuff is nothing special but the lake city match 308 & 30-06 stuff is the best there is in my opinion. My velocities go up and powder usage goes down when I use that stuff. I can generally get max load velocity with about a grain and a half less powder than normal Winchester or Remington brass.

LoneWolf
08-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Good to hear I have 200 rounds of this waiting at home to be put through a build I'll be working on when I get home!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

thermaler
08-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah the 5.56 stuff is nothing special but the lake city match 308 & 30-06 stuff is the best there is in my opinion. My velocities go up and powder usage goes down when I use that stuff. I can generally get max load velocity with about a grain and a half less powder than normal Winchester or Remington brass.I'm guessing thicker, tighter case capacity--a bit more pressure? One of my cases had a split neck.

eddiesindian
08-13-2013, 09:23 PM
yes sir..thats nice and tight......you wouldnt happen to know the speed would you?

thermaler
08-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Would not know speed since I'm away from my chrono for another 6 weeks--but that is a very good question--their website says "168 GRAIN NOSLER HPBT CUSTOM COMPETITION BULLETS Loaded in NEW Brass - 2600 FPS, 2522 Ft-Lbs" an actual measurement to compare would be interesting.

missed
08-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Would not know speed since I'm away from my chrono for another 6 weeks--but that is a very good question--their website says "168 GRAIN NOSLER HPBT CUSTOM COMPETITION BULLETS Loaded in NEW Brass - 2600 FPS, 2522 Ft-Lbs" an actual measurement to compare would be interesting.

You can figure your velocity by shooting at your zero distance then back up to a further distance and shoot your same target point and same elevation for your zero distance then you can measure the difference and figure your speed there. Strelok ballistic calculator can do it, I think I have the formula in a excel spread sheet too.

thermaler
08-14-2013, 08:37 AM
You can figure your velocity by shooting at your zero distance then back up to a further distance and shoot your same target point and same elevation for your zero distance then you can measure the difference and figure your speed there. Strelok ballistic calculator can do it, I think I have the formula in a excel spread sheet too.I'm thinking this one through--I'm assuming it takes the elevation difference and distance to target difference and calculates velocity from bullet drop distance? Wouldn't you need to know the powder load?

missed
08-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Just have to have bullet weight, temperature, barometric pressure, the distance between the two impacts and the distance between the two shooting locations. The only variable that is very hard to calculate is the wind effects. I usually do a 100 to 200 if the wind is up, and 100 to 400 if it's calm. I had added the wind into the calculation but it got messy and complicated then.

thermaler
08-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Just have to have bullet weight, temperature, barometric pressure, the distance between the two impacts and the distance between the two shooting locations. The only variable that is very hard to calculate is the wind effects. I usually do a 100 to 200 if the wind is up, and 100 to 400 if it's calm. I had added the wind into the calculation but it got messy and complicated then.And how close to your chrono readings have your measurements been using this technique? (just curious).

missed
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I have had better more consistent data calculating the speed by drop. I had days where my chronograph was significantly off due to lighting. I run Varget as much as I can so speeds varying from weather is minimal. I do want to get one of the magna speed chronographs but drop method works for $400 less.

eddiesindian
08-14-2013, 11:12 AM

That sounds about right then. almost all target/competition/match 168/175,s Ive seen are going that speed. (as advertised)...cant argue with that either. Ive develop,d loads yrs ago and found the sweet spot to be at or about 2600.
IMO....Nosler projectiles are known for there accuracy with the price tag to match

thermaler
08-14-2013, 02:19 PM
That sounds about right then. almost all target/competition/match 168/175,s Ive seen are going that speed. (as advertised)...cant argue with that either. Ive develop,d loads yrs ago and found the sweet spot to be at or about 2600.
IMO....Nosler projectiles are known for there accuracy with the price tag to matchIt's $124 for a box of 100. Not bad considering inflated prices these days--not sure I could match that even in reloads. Forgot to mention--these are straight-up SAAMI spec too--no long seating of bullets. Gonna see how my SASS digests them next.

LoneWolf
08-14-2013, 03:54 PM
I will probably order more of these if they run well for me. I'm putting a Mcgowan SS 26" 1 in 10 twist Varmint Contour on the Axis build I'm doing. Hoping these give good results since it's hard to find reloading components around SOCAL and unless you buy bulk it's not very cheap online either.

If I get good results, I will look into the local matches here and see what I can do.

DanSavage
08-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Actually the Nosler comp bullets are the cheapest thing going right now, if you can get into reloading, the 168 comps are under $250 for a box of 1000. The ballistic tip, e tip, accubonds are the pricey bullets that Nosler offers, that are a hunting bullet.

LoneWolf
08-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Ya I would have to buy one component a pay period at that rate lol. I've invested in a rifle build and would have to wait months to start developing a load.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

thermaler
08-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I read someplace a guy uses these to hunt deer--but I would think they would come apart upon impact?

thermaler
08-15-2013, 04:44 PM
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away...
Today I tried the Atomic out of my LRT SASS which generally does a better job with "off the shelf" ammo than my Axis. Let's just say it was a humbling day--the best I could get was about 1.25" Then I started getting upset--which of course just made matters worse.