PDA

View Full Version : Savage Palma Actions

Dennis
08-13-2013, 09:38 AM
I had a conversation with Savage last week. During this conversation I was told the Palma Actions had a trued barrel nut and recoil lug. All other PTA's don't.

With stating the above, the Palma Action must be trued, at least in my opinion.

Does anyone have the facts on the Palma actions?

Dennis

sharpshooter
08-13-2013, 07:27 PM
I don't know who you talked to, Dennis.....but all of the target type actions are the same and use the same components.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but all of the current target actions are no longer polished, just blasted.

Dennis
08-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Sharpshooter, this person told me the Palma was different. I even ordered the Palma barrel nut and recoil lug just to compare. She gave me the part numbers which is different from the ones I usually order.

I don't know, they really threw me off when they told me this. I sent an email and receive a call back so they could discuss it with me. I am waiting on another reply now. I will send it to you.

This person also told me there are only Standard shank actions and Large shank actions now as far as barrel nuts and barrel threading is concerned. Just repeating what I was told.

I just want to get to the bottom of this as it's very important to us.

Thanks for your reply, Dennis

PS: I started the conversation with Effie and so far talked to a total of 3 people!

FW Conch
08-14-2013, 03:29 PM
According to Whidden Gunworks, the Vblock they make for the Palma action has 3.445" action screw spacing ? ? ? ?

sharpshooter
08-14-2013, 09:38 PM
The part numbers she gave you are not for different parts, they are just new part numbers for the same part. They do that all the time, for what reason? Just to confuse everyone I guess.

stangfish
08-14-2013, 11:03 PM
According to Whidden Gunworks, the Vblock they make for the Palma action has 3.445" action screw spacing ? ? ? ?

Wow. That is a 32nd different than the standard action. That is a 3 screw correct conch?

FW Conch
08-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes, the V-block that Whidden makes for the Palma is a 3 pillar. But 4.440" - 3.445 = .995" ? That doesn't seem right ? Other information I have encountered suggests that the Palma uses the Savage "Target" (short - 4.440") action, 3 pillars ? There is certainly someone on this site who can straighten us out on this. . ?

sharpshooter
08-16-2013, 12:27 AM
The Palma and the dual port actions use the 3.440" spacing. The left port and right port actions are the 4.400" spacing.
However...there are some basterd actions being sold as target actions which could have either spacing. I have encountered a few dual port actions with the standard 4.400" spacing, and several left port with the 3.440" spacing. These seem to be basterd receivers where someone made a mistake on the configuration somewhere along the line. Nothing wrong with them, other than the spacing, so it pays to measure them when you order a stock.
A Palma receiver will also be tapped for a receiver sight.

FW Conch
08-16-2013, 09:20 AM
:-) Dennis, not trying to hijack your thread!

Thanks sharpshooter. There's a picture in the FAQ's. ALways check the FAQ's.

On the Palma pictured, the front action screw is moved back, and the rear action screw is moved forward, giving the 3.440" spacing.
This begs the question, Does the Palma use a longer trigger guard to catch the rear screw, or do both trigger guard screws go into the stock?
I've never heard of a Savage "aftermarket" stock with a 3.440" screw spacing? Does this mean "factory stock" or "custom" only for the Palma action ?? Thanks.........Jim

sharpshooter
08-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Yes, you are correct....I forgot to point out the longer trigger guards for the Palma and dual port. This just happens to be the same trigger guard used on the model 40's and many model 93's and MKII's.
On a side note: I have received many target actions that were supplied with the wrong trigger guards.(mostly with those basterd axctions)

Dennis
08-17-2013, 02:58 AM
The part numbers she gave you are not for different parts, they are just new part numbers for the same part. They do that all the time, for what reason? Just to confuse everyone I guess.

Thanks for all of the above comments. I am still waiting on replies from Savage. I was told their pretty busy with the nationals at the moment.

Sharpshooter, LOL, yes, it's confusing but making more sense now.

I wonder why they told me the recoil lug is "totally" different than the other PTA's.

As stated, I ordered one based on the part number they gave me. We are going to inspect it. I might ship it to you and get your opinion,

Dennis

PS: Keep the facts coming . . .

sharpshooter
08-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Something I just noticed this week....The sears are now different. It is just a cosmetic change in the stamping. Where there used to be a sharp corner below the thumb lever is now radius-ed. And of course you know that they will have a different part number.