PDA

View Full Version : Serious question about .220 Swift barrels... .

Pages : [1] 2

Pete K.
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Are they really difficult to find as new? Considering the popularity of the 22-250 and the 6MM chamberings would there be a strong market for replacement .220 Swift barrels IF a quality barrel maker was to offer them? What would you want as far as length, twist and countour?

I would purchase a .220 barrel;

Yes
no

I would want a blued barrel;

yes
no

I would want a stainless barrel;

yes
no

I would prefere the barrel to be;

22"

24"

26"

other,

I would like the twist rate to be; and for what grain bullet?

I'm asking for your serious responses as I have a National quality Barrel manufacturer in my back yard that I know personally.

Pete K.

Uncle Jack
02-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I would buy a 24" or 26" stainless 220 Swift barrel with a 1/14 twist in a medium heavy/varmint configuration preferably fluted.

uj

fatdaddy
02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
+1, Flutes make no difference to me thou...Bill

Blue Avenger
02-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Have 3, I am a bargain hunter so to outright buy a new one, probably not.

nothing under 24" shooting 40 to 55 gr bullets would be my vote.

laportecharlie
02-10-2010, 08:47 PM
All of these questions should be referred to Hammer since he owns just about every 220 Swift barrel in the known world.
Charlie
PS I know this is not a serious answer, I just couldn't resist!

Uncle Jack
02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I mentioned "fluted" only to reduce the weight a little. I'm getting too old to pack 10lb rifles around.

uj

Pete K.
02-10-2010, 09:06 PM
All of these questions should be referred to Hammer since he owns just about every 220 Swift barrel in the known world.
Charlie
PS I know this is not a serious answer, I just couldn't resist!

Charlie,

We all know about Mr. Hammer and his collecting, reloading, testing, designing, contributions to the sport etc. He is an exceptional asset to the science of shooting.
What I need to know is... is there enough demand for the .220 Swift barrel in NEW to make it worth while to persue? I searched several barrel manufacturers and didn't come up with much as to availability. I do find some rifle manufacturers such as Cooper Arms Co. that offer the .220 Swift cambering. I would appreciate some feedback as to the availability today from barrel makers and if there is any futher need for the product. Are you shooters happy with the 22-250 and 6MM offerings or would you seriously swap your barrel to the .220 Swift? Is this market already covered or does it require consideration???

Answers please...

Pete K.

Hammer
02-10-2010, 09:09 PM

A true Swift has a 26-inch long blued barrel with 14-inch twist and a medium heavy contour.

Have been known to deviate by going with longer barrels like 30 and 32 inch long and do occasionally use a 12-inch twist.

The appropriate 48-grain bullets must be custom made these days. Sometimes I get lazy and use store-bought 50-grain bullets.

;) :D

Hammer
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM

Y'all are doing a great service for the shooting community by working with the consumer shooter and the barrel maker to provide a ready supply of barrels for target shooters, varmint hunters, and hobbyist.

I applaud all the folks who are working in this field.

As to the Swift...

No true Swift shooter ever considered the 22-250 or 6mm Remington or a barrel that was not at least 26-inches long or thought about shooting heavier bullets to buck wind. The Swift is for sizzling 4,000+ fps.

A Swift shooter considering a 22-250 would be as unlikely as a 16 gauge shooter thinking of a 3-inch 20 gauge. It's just not done in polite company.

;) ;D

jlcpls
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM

A true Swift has a 26-inch long blued barrel with 14-inch twist and a medium heavy contour.

Have been known to deviate by going with longer barrels like 30 and 32 inch long and do occasionally use a 12-inch twist.

The Last One I got is 26" Stainless Fluted 12 twist.

I wish I knew how it shoots, I haven't screwed it in yet......

Blue Avenger
02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
As to the Swift...

No true Swift shooter ever considered the 22-250 or 6mm Remington or a barrel that was not at least 26-inches long or thought about shooting heavier bullets to buck wind. The Swift is for sizzling 4,000+ fps.
You right, I never considered it, just bought them. What is your cover, the maker just sent 6mm rem's out as they were surplus and they filled your standing order for 20 a week LOL

Blue Avenger
02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Pete, might be worth a call to Jim Briggs

Hammer
02-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Stainless is OK in other cartridges, but in a Swift it would be like a 16 gauge side-by-side with a single trigger.

Just not done. ;) ;D

Fluting is a matter of taste, not functionality.

Of course, fluting does not belong on a Swift anymore than a variable power scope does. ;) :)

jlcpls
02-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Stainless is OK in other cartridges, but in a Swift it would be like a 16 gauge side-by-side with a single trigger.

Just not done.

Fluting is a matter of taste, not functionality.

Of course, fluting does not belong on a Swift anymore than a variable power scope does.

I should probably sell it then. Heretical piece of steel.

Have to remake the video.

Thank God I have two triggers on my Zastava 16ga.

Uncle Jack
02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
"........Stainless is OK in other cartridges, but in a Swift it would be like a 16 gauge side-by-side with a single trigger.

Just not done."

My memory must be failing me, but I seem to remember owning a factory Winchester model 70 with a stainless barrel that was coated with iron and blued so as to appear "traditional". This was the second model Winchester put out after many customers shot out their chrome/moly barrels trying to attain that mythical 4110fps with the 48 grainers.

uj

Hammer
02-10-2010, 10:21 PM

Everyone can own and enjoy whatever they like.

That is what makes America great.

I can play with my traditional Swifts and others can enjoy their favorites too.

There's probably a fluted stainless Swift or two downstairs now.

Hammer
02-10-2010, 10:34 PM

My memory must be failing me, but I seem to remember owing a factory Winchester model 70 with a stainless barrel that was coated with iron and blued so as to appear "traditional". This was the second model Winchester put out after many of their customers shot out their chrom/moly barrels trying to attain that mythical 4110fps with the 48 grainers.

You're right.

Pete K.
02-12-2010, 12:41 AM

Y'all are doing a great service for the shooting community by working with the consumer shooter and the barrel maker to provide a ready supply of barrels for target shooters, varmint hunters, and hobbyist.

I applaud all the folks who are working in this field.

As to the Swift...

A Swift shooter considering a 22-250 would be as unlikely as a 16 gauge shooter thinking of a 3-inch 20 gauge. It's just not done in polite company.

;) ;D

Mr. Hammer, Art...

The reason I am asking if there is a serious (Need) or (market) for the .220 Swift barrel is that I plan to visit with Mr. Hugo Vivera the owner of Wilson Arms Co. here in Branford that makes barrels. He also owns Cooper Arms Co. of Montana. He came into our Four Season Sunroom showroom to see what's available and we have met with him at his home in Colchester, Ct. When I call Wilson Arms Co. HE answered the phone. He is a hands on owner and may just consider making a run of .220 barrels if I presented him with facts. By facts I mean, is there a serious demand for them, in exactly what configuration, how many, who wants them etc.
I still have not been told if they are available as new replacements. He owns Cooper arms and they offer models chambered in .220 Swift so either Cooper is making the barrels or buying them from somewhere. I am thinking that if these barrels became available as screw on replacements for Savage rifles it would make a lot of lovers of the barrel nut happy as they would have one of the flattest, fasting rounds available again.
So... Art, Are the replacement barrels readily available and the whole "last .220 Swift barrel" only a myth? or would our Savageaholic Nut jobs pony up to do a let's call it a one time buy to make it worth while for Mr. Vivera to tool up and perhaps keep a small supply on hand thereafter?
This is Hugo Vivera at the 2010 Shot Show, second from the right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/pdexter46/2010shotshow-01192010-031.jpg

Thank you Mr. Hammer...

Pete ???

olsmokey
02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Hammer; Getting ready to send my Ruger swift to Shaw for a new barrel. Since you seem to be the resident expert on the swift, what do you recommend for twist? The original is 14 and I only shoot 40 to 55 grain bullets. Any advantage or disadvantage to going to a 12 twist? The barrel I picked is a 26'' blue steel. I can get it in either 12 or 14 twist. Do you have any other suggestions? thanks Dave

Hammer
02-22-2010, 04:17 PM

The traditional twist for the 220 Swift is 14-inches. This works fine with conventional bullets up to 60 grains.

If you might use the poly-tipped bullets like Hornady's VMAX, would recommend the 12-inch twist.

If you are considering any of the bullets over 60 grains, then would go to Shaw's 9-inch twist. However, think you will pay a penalty in the lighter bullet category.