PDA

View Full Version : Got a new 7mm-08 Axis !

tinbird
08-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Hey Guys, just a quick note to say that I picked up a new Axis in 7mm-08 yesterday and took it to the range today.
I initially was going to get the Axis in 25-06, but there were none to be found anywhere I checked. Up here in Canada the firearm situation can be bleak at times given the amount of paperwork required from the State Dept. in the U.S., and the lead times as well (I believe as a matter of policy/regulation there is a six month waiting period before the paperwork will be rubber stamped, regardless of how many times previous the firearm has been imported by a distributor here). In any case, I did have previous experience with a 7x57 Mauser harvesting both mule deer and moose with it, so the 7mm-08 always intrigued me. I now finally own one and shooting factory Vortex 120 gr @ 100 and 200 meters today proved to me that my decision was one I should have made much earlier.
Straight out of the box, a good cleaning of chamber and barrel (a must for any new rifle these days) set up and after sighting in @ 50 meters than tweaking @ 100 meters, the rifle grouped under the 1", more like 3/4".
After three shots with maybe a minute break between shots, I noted some horizontal stringing and the stock seems to be a bit less gap on the left side (stringing noted to the right). After about a 5 minute break, it was sunny and approximately 33 Celsius (about 91.5 Fahrenheit I believe), the barrel was still warm and I tried a shot at 200 meters. The round struck approximately 2 1/2 inches to the left and about an inch or so low. So I'd have my animal.
I was shooting off the Caldwell DFT lead sled and using the scope supplied with the xp package. I could use the scope as is, but will likely replace it with perhaps a Vortex Diamondback, Bushnell Elite or Redfield Revolution (haven't decided yet).
I will say that the factory tigger is very basic, somewhat 'rough' in that it broke at what seemed different pressures on the trigger, however, I believe that is likely due to machining marks/micro burrs. I don't have a trigger gauge, but would say that it is in the neighbourhood of 5-6 pounds or so.
I did not note the 'flexing' at the wrist as I have read in other posts, however, the forearm is flexible.
For this reason, I situated the front rest of the lead sled to position directly under the rear of the stock in an effort to reduce the flexing as a factor. I positioned it so that I could reach the magazine, release it and have it just drop clear.
In regards to the magazine, I found the release somewhat stiff and made quite a loud snap sound when seating the magazine, however, after inserting and removing a dozen or so times, it became easier and a bit quieter when inserting and removing.
I have smaller hands and found the wrist to be comfortable, as the rifle is about half a pound lighter than most other rifles, it'll be nice for carrying while strolling the cut blocks and cut lines.
For anyone on the fence about the Axis, based on my experience so far, I highly recommend buying one.
I will say that the scope seems to hold zero, the adjustments were for the most part consistent, but it is an economy optic. It is not as clear as the Burris Fullfield II I have on one of my other rifles, nor the Vortex Viper I have on another. I will likely swap it out for something else, but then my eyes aren't what they used to be either :). Besides, for the money I saved in purchasing the rifle, I can pretty well pay for a new higher quality scope and Zee rings and still be at the price of buying a mainstream rifle only.

Now to develop some loads of 120, 130, and 140 to find the most accurate for the rifle as I'm using it for hunting, where I can put it is more important to me than how fast I can get it there !!:eek:

TB

Topsail
08-16-2013, 02:58 AM
Glad you like it. I have one in 308 and it groups my handloads at under 1 inch.
I have a lot of 7mm bullets, more than I could ever shoot out of my 7mm Rem Mag, so I was looking at the 7mm-08 also.
Your report has helped me with that decision.

tinbird
08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey TS, been busy working and away from the computer, glad the post could assist you, I have another couple of weeks and then I can do a little trigger tweaking (following the instructions posted on this forum) and I'm going to install a different scope, sight 'er in and go for a stroll in deer season. Really looking forward to hunting season this year with my new Axis!

TB

fgw_in_fla
08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Good luck with the 7-08. It's a fun caliber to play with.
And if you think the trigger sucks now, wait until after you run a couple 50 - 60 rounds thru it.

Start shopping for a nice accutrigger. It'll make you forget all about that gritty 'ol hard pulling trigger.

Topsail
08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I picked up a 7-08 Axis this weekend. Trigger was 7 lbs out of the box.
Trimmed the spring to get to get a 5 lbs trigger and called it good.
Also sanded out the barrel channel before I shot it.
Ran 20 rounds through it yesterday with 150gr handloads.
Got it zeroed at 25 yds, then started banging steel plates at 300.
Hit with the first shot.
I think I am going to like this.

fla9-40
08-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Good luck with the 7-08. It's a fun caliber to play with.
And if you think the trigger sucks now, wait until after you run a couple 50 - 60 rounds thru it.

Start shopping for a nice accutrigger. It'll make you forget all about that gritty 'ol hard pulling trigger.

+1 on what my fellow Floridian tells ya....I have the Rifle Basix in all my Savage Axis because I could not find the accutrigger and love them! If you can not find an accutrigger I would suggest looking at the Rifle Basix...

LoneWolf
09-05-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm running the rifle basix on my rebuilt. Right around 2lbs and breaks like glass. Have it set with 0 creep. So easy to work on I did it with my 1 month old(at the time) the son in my lap. He may end up a little gunsmith himself!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2