PDA

View Full Version : .243 Win Threading

Gunman9
08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I am new here and recently picked up a Savage 10 .243 Win. I bought a boyds gun stock "Featherweight Thumb Hole" and am having my gun smith inlet it, pillar, and glass bed it. I was wondering about threading the barrel which I normally do myself but have no idea what thread die to use for a .243 as in the AK47 uses a 14x1 LH thread with a bore guide. Any help would be great! Thanks.

sharpshooter
08-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Thread it for what????

Gunman9
08-12-2013, 10:00 PM
I plan on purchasing a can to put on it and other rifles I have.

bootsmcguire
08-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Threading a barrel, especially for a can requires that the threads be cut exactly true to the bore. Properly indicated on a lathe is the best way, IMHO.

As to what size and pitch: It will mostly depend on the diameter of your muzzle and the contour. Assuming you have a factory sporter barrel, I myself would look at 9/16-24 or possibly 1/2-28, but with the 1/2-28 you have to be careful to never thread on an accessory on your muzzle that was intended for a .224 bore caliber or a standard AR rifle as the bore in said device would be to small and would act like a plugged barrel and be very dangerous. You could thread it in an equivalent metric size to prevent this, but finding a can in such a size may be a challenge.

I would call the company you are ordering your can from and see what sizes they carry and explain to them what you have and see what they recommend you thread to to be compatible and safe with their product.

sharpshooter
08-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Why worry about it now? It will take atleast 6 months to get a can anyway.

Gunman9
08-13-2013, 04:24 AM
Because the gun will be going to my gunsmith soon who happens to be quite a bit away from where I live. Knock out 2 birds with 1 stone you know

sinman
08-13-2013, 09:18 AM
If your gunsmith uses a "die" to thread the muzzle of your barrel I think you need a new gunsmith

SlimySquirrel
08-13-2013, 01:49 PM
The .243 is much nicer with a Can..

Get it all done together if he is a good smith. Always worth doing a bit of research on the Gun Smith if it's your first time using him/her.

I have had a Crown come back in less than perfect condition and thats not a great result if you have left it with someone for a long time.

Hope it works out nicely for you, looks like a nice little project.