PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Savage 111 Stock

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ycastane
08-12-2013, 09:50 PM
I'll try back with the low profile rings the one i had on this rifle and see if that is the issue, might be and im blaming it on something else. Will do that tomorrow and post update! Thanks for the help so far fellas!

sharpshooter
08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Unless you are some freak of nature, that whole set-up is wrong. Get rid of the dog leg rings and go back to low or medium rings. Then set the scope 2" forward of where it is now, unless you like black eyes...:eyebrows:

Mach2
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Unless you are some freak of nature, that whole set-up is wrong. Get rid of the dog leg rings and go back to low or medium rings. Then set the scope 2" forward of where it is now, unless you like black eyes...:eyebrows:

LOL! Good one SS!

YCastane if you are 5"7" the scope should be about 11" from the butt end of the stock. You can walk into any firearms store or Bass Pro or Cabela or Dicks Sporting Goods and get some free hands on help. Any range you go to will have other shooters who will help you as well.

That 1st scope setup is a pain without a little help. You are almost there as it is.

ycastane
08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Yeah im 5'-11" and no is not the first scope i mount. Definitely know what eye relief is and how it should look. This doesnt, if im not mistaken i did try the regular rings but it was bad so i switched to this P rings to give more offset. This scope calls for a 3" eye relief. I'll see if i can take a photo while holding the rifle so you guys can see how far it is from my eye!

FW Conch
08-13-2013, 11:51 AM
I am 1" taller than you, and I can testify that if you shoot that 30/06 with that scope set up, "you are going to need stitches"! For some one 5'11" and normal length arms, a 13.5" lop is plenty short. Also, 3"s of eye relief on a 30/06 is minimal. If you shoot an '06 prone with that little eye relief, your probably gonna get "scope bit"! We are all trying to be helpful here :)! ... Best of Luck-Jim

ycastane
08-13-2013, 12:01 PM
I know you guys are trying to be helpful and i appreciate the fact you guys are taking time to help me with this. Im just trying to explain this as best as possible. Ive shot that rifle with that scope before, once i got the AR i transferes it to the ar and used it there, now transfering it back to its owner the 30.06. Hopefully i dont come off as defensive since im not trying to be, just trying to answer whatever you guys ask so you can understand and better help me with this issue.

FW Conch
08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
No problem Buddy! We are all "here for you"! And we are trying to keep you from " feeling any pain"! I am in Key West, in the "Conch Republic" and would love to "zip up there" and help you out, but it's 160miles, and I would have to "leave my homeland" and enter the "foreign country" of Miami ! To those not up on the history of the "Conch Republic", that is "tongue in cheek", sorta :) ! I"m sure we can help you solve this online.

1. I don't believe you need to shorten your L O P .
2. I believe, as pictured in your post, as mentioned above, that scope is positioned way too close to your eye, "NOT" too far away.
3. I believe you can mount that scope with "Low" rings, certainly with medium rings, to make it look more like the set up in the "Dave muzz" picture. I think this will solve your problem. Don't get frustrated :) and Best of Luck....Jim

ycastane
08-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks Jim!! Appreciate the help. Heard from my mom this weekend there was some sort of lobster fest? **** i wish i'd had know lol!! What other food fest do you guys throw out there? Dont mind the drive for some good ol fresh seafood ;)

FW Conch
08-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Yep! Lobster Fest is a celebration of the beginning of lobster season. So just drive down Rt.1, past Florida City and you've got 130 miles of the best sea food anywhere! There's alway's something going on, and it's always listed on Florida Keys.com! As the license plate says: "The Party Never Ends" :) !

davemuzz
08-13-2013, 02:45 PM
ycastane....First: Yes, we are all honestly trying to help you, so don't get frustrated. Second: Whatever you do....don't try to shoot any Lobsters with a 30-06!! I know those claws are tough to crack.....but there are better ways!!

Dave

Speedrat1
08-13-2013, 03:25 PM
I'd agree with Thomae - you've mounted the scope a full 2 inches further back than I do for myself (11-11.5") and still you think it needs to be further back....... nope unless this is really for someone about 5' and 95lbs dripping wet - people vary but not that much. I'm thinking the rings are so high on that style stock your cheek is not even close to being firmly planted on the stock. By raising your cheek/head up off the stock it would naturally bring your head back, compounding the problem.

Silvercrow1
08-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Ycastane- Just a thought here; since we cant get to you, or vice versa, in person, it might help for you to mount the gun in your normal / favored shooting position, and have someone take pics of you in your "fire ready position". Of course, double / triple check the gun is unloaded. If you don't have a person to take the pics you can probably set the camera up and use the delayed shutter release.

We all want to help, you and each other. I can testify that I've NEVER been on a friendlier or more helpful board! Brian

ycastane
08-13-2013, 03:35 PM
I just reinstalled the original tings it had, did the eyes closed thing and brought the scope back until i see full picture, this is at 3x rather than 9 and if im not there im like 1/16" away lol, thats at 3x when i increse magnification the full picture goes out the window. The rear ring its at its max and its hitting turret so it cant move any further, at least back! I'll post a photo in a few.

ycastane
08-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah im going to take a couple photos of how is mounted and i'll also have my mom or dad take the photo since they are home i believe. Im right handed ao i guess photo ahould be taken from my right side!?

FW Conch
08-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Uh, Dave...."Spinney Lobster" ! ! .... "No Claws ! a 243 will be adequate ! :-)

ycastane
08-13-2013, 03:51 PM
No 243 just a tickle stick or a rig to pierce them and thats it ;) and lots and lots a butta

davemuzz
08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
No 243 just a tickle stick or a rig to pierce them and thats it ;) and lots and lots a butta

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/popcorn.gif Just waiting for your pics. Also glad to know your not pounding on those sea creatures with a 30-06!!

thomae
08-13-2013, 05:14 PM
I just reinstalled the original tings it had, did the eyes closed thing and brought the scope back until i see full picture, this is at 3x rather than 9 and if im not there im like 1/16" away lol, thats at 3x when i increse magnification the full picture goes out the window. The rear ring its at its max and its hitting turret so it cant move any further, at least back! I'll post a photo in a few.That makes sense as you have greater eye relief at low powers than at high powers. However, I would still love to see a photo of you with your rifle in firing position.

Silvercrow1
08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah im going to take a couple photos of how is mounted and i'll also have my mom or dad take the photo since they are home i believe. Im right handed ao i guess photo ahould be taken from my right side!?

Once you have the gun mounted and your cheek weld and eye relief I'd have someone take pictures "on plane"- that is adjacent to- your head / shoulder /arm, from the right and left sides, and also the front. That'll give the helpful folks here a good idea of whats going on.

Again- I know its common sense and I'm not being disparaging, but triple check the gun is unloaded. Even an experienced person can sometimes make an error while concentrating on another aspect of gunnery.

Brian

ycastane
08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Checked them and triple check them, except my 9mm shield, nothing else is loaded, specially hunting rigs. Parents arent home by the time i got home but i will post the photos later once they get here. Thanks for the help gents! Much appreciated.