PDA

View Full Version : How To Fit More Powder Into A Case

Pages : 1 [2] 3

aka:Cliff
08-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Oooohhhh... you're a sly one, Mr Grinch. ;)

scope eye
08-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Oooohhhh... you're a sly one, Mr Grinch. ;)

I will take that as a complement due to the fact that I have been called worse,LOL Oh here is a tip for ya, the more out of whack your grinding wheel is, the more powder you can fit in true story.

Spanky

PS: you know I have watched that Christmas special every year, since it came out, first as a kid then as a father and as a grandfather, it came out in 1966 so I guess that's 46 times, WOW I had never thought of it until now.

aka:Cliff
08-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Yes Sir. a complement. (sorry if it was not clear)

I enjoy a good determined mind solving a problem.
Very sly at making more room.

Its like filling a bottle with marbles. Then Sand. Then water.
Always room for a little bit more.

Being born in '64 myself, I've seen it a few times myself too.

EOD350
08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Just use a 4-6 inch drop tube.

thermaler
08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Hey Jim I never touch the lands, not in any of my twenty plus calibers I load for, my minimum is 50 thou and up to 100 thou is not rare,
All my loads are compressed loads even with the powder settled in a la bench grinder,
As far as brass goes I use all brands they all have there pros and cons, by far the toughest brass is Privi Partisen, to be fair It's not real brass it's half brass and half old tanks melted in with it,LOL but it is by far the brand that can take the most abuse, come to think of it they should sponsor me, if you or anyone else has any other questions I will gladly respond.

DeanI too really like PPU rifle brass--and their rifle ammo is a bargain for the price and quality IMHO. However, I recently bought some of their 380 auto FMJ ammo and it's the some of the worst stuff I've ever shot--I don't think their rifle quality carries over into their pistol stuff unfortunately.

scope eye
08-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I too really like PPU rifle brass--and their rifle ammo is a bargain for the price and quality IMHO. However, I recently bought some of their 380 auto FMJ ammo and it's the some of the worst stuff I've ever shot--I don't think their rifle quality carries over into their pistol stuff unfortunately.

I use to be able to buy that ammo so cheap, that I would buy it to pull it apart.

Dean

Nandy
09-02-2013, 07:37 PM
so is there one thread that contains all of Scope Eye reloading secrets and tips or is it all spread in this reloading forum? I always like to read other reloaders procedures and such. It helps improve one reloading process. My problem is not having ES and SD numbers....

scope eye
09-02-2013, 07:58 PM
so is there one thread that contains all of Scope Eye reloading secrets and tips or is it all spread in this reloading forum? I always like to read other reloaders procedures and such. It helps improve one reloading process. My problem is not having ES and SD numbers....

It's not just all over the reloading forum, it's all over the forum in general, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me, or just start a new posting, never to busy for a fellow shooter especially a forum member.

Dean

6mmBR_Shooter
09-04-2013, 04:29 PM
A vibratory tumbler can be used as well.

I didn't see it on here yet, but there was a story a few years ago about some guy in europe who put his loaded 44mag rounds into a tumbler to polish them up. The tumbler made the powder into finer pieces, which overpressurized the gun and blew it up. Fact or fiction, I don't know, but I would think the factory makes the kernels, sticks, and flakes a certain size for the intended burn rate.

http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/tumble.html

thomae
09-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Rich...Good point.
I didn't mean to suggest that anyone place their loaded rounds into a tumbler, although there are some who insist on doing just that.
From a safety perspective, I don't think I would do that.

scope eye
09-05-2013, 06:02 AM
I am Guilty of it, there is some running as we speak, hey what can I say, I like my Bling Bling, I even add wax to the tumbler, and that makes them real shiny, plus the slickness of the case eases they extraction when running those nuclear fusion hot loads.

Spanky jr

stangfish
09-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Oh great, now the cases don't hold in the chamber and the bolt lugs are holding ALL the presure. Can you say BOLT EYE.

Morning Buddy!

fgw_in_fla
09-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Yeah but, just think of how nice & shiny they'll look glistening in the sun...

Happy Thursday, Gents.

scope eye
09-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Folks always do comment on them, and ask me how to achieve the same results, when I tell them, it becomes a deal breaker, just like when folks ask me "I would love to achieve the speed you do" when I tell them how apparently that's a deal breaker also, I have had folks ask me several times the same thing, did you actually think I was going to say something else or have a different answer, go away and don't bother me any more, Fish I am sure I have plenty of chamber "grip", and I don't have to worry about bolt thrust, I can tell by how bloated they cases are when I full length size them after every firing.

Spanky jr

fgw_in_fla
09-05-2013, 08:14 AM
I spin my cases in the drill & clean them with a little 0000 steel wool. There was a time I concerned myself with the cleanliness / shininess of the cases.
Now, I'm happy if I can see the target. Sometimes I can even HIT it.....

By the way Dean, you're not concerned with higher pressures being hard on the brass and / or rifle?

scope eye
09-05-2013, 08:54 AM
By the way Dean, you're not concerned with higher pressures being hard on the brass and / or rifle?

No I am not very concerned, since I have never seen any I'll effects on my rifle, whether it be they barrel or they action, I could not allow myself to do that, as far as the brass goes lets just say, I don't get they amount of cycles I could get, if I wasn't so enthusiastic or generous with my powder portions, lets just say the brass takes one for the team, I equate it to when I use to build High performance racing engines,
I would say to my clients do you want an engine that will last all season, or do you want to win races.

Spanky jr

Blitzfike
09-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Oh great, now the cases don't hold in the chamber and the bolt lugs are holding ALL the presure. Can you say BOLT EYE.

Morning Buddy!
This issue of Handloader Magazine addresses this issue. I was pretty surprised to read that the bolt face gets quite a bit less pressure according to that article. Good read this issue.. and I have tumbled loaded ammo to get the lube off of it. I left some in overnight by accident once, disassembled it and looked at the powder and didn't see any degradation of the powder grains. Had an encore in that caliber and shot it without any problems. Blitzfike

scope eye
09-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I tried they tumbler approach, but I guess my work bench is over built, that and the new tumblers are quieter, although I think my old one caused a crack in the foundation, but this morning I did manage to fit 33gr of H335 in a 223AI case and still seat a 40gr Vmax, with this method,COOL

Spanky

FW Conch
09-11-2013, 02:37 PM
OK Dean, let's talk about accuracy, as it relates to this screaming velocity. Do you always get better accuracy using your methods, or just better terminal performance? Thanks ....... Jim

scope eye
09-11-2013, 03:38 PM
OK Dean, let's talk about accuracy, as it relates to this screaming velocity. Do you always get better accuracy using your methods, or just better terminal performance? Thanks ....... Jim

How can I put this, OK if you are punching paper at 100 yards you could probably tighten up the groups a bit, but where my loads really shine is 200 to 600 yards, where the time of flight is so short that there is almost no chance and time for the bullet to deflect from it's path, a bullet that is dropping in it's flight is not a bullet that is "charging" in it's flight, like I always say a bullet that spends less time in the wind, will be less affected by the wind, I don't punch paper I am not good at it, and have no qualms about it, although I am really good at getting a shot off within a second or two, none of that breathing, repositioning, getting comfortable, back and forth and trying to get the scope perfect focus all that stuff, and when I shoot, I shoot at things and when I do I never have to stop and think about how I am going to go about taking that shot as far as windage, elevation, whatever, I have missed shots, but it's just that I missed, I have never said to myself if only my groupings would have been tighter, I would have got it, my way of loading is more accurate than I will ever be, I know that from other shooters that have tried my loads in my rigs and in there's, and that they all agree that there is something to my approach, but are to set in there ways to change, hope this helps and clears things up a bit anyway.

Dean