PDA

View Full Version : Professional gunsmithing question

n4ue
08-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Hi. Back in 'the day', I had not only a FFL, but also an 'ammo manufacturing license'.... I thankfully, let them expire.
So, now, I am heavily into Savage rifles, and have a bunch and luv em'..... Mostly Axis, but a few M12s.

I have a machine shop here and do a lot of fabrication/welding as a hobby, as I am a retired IBM EE. I have recently purchased several reamers from PTG plus the necessary go / no-go gages, bbl wrenches, vises, etc.

Been having a great time rechambering Axis/Stevens bbls from .223 to .221 Fireball or .223 AI.
If I wanted to do this for other folks, what would the LEGAL requirements be? I know you can mail a bbl. The receiver, being serialized, might be consider a 'firearm'.
What if someone were to send me a bolt in one package, and the rcv in another? I could do the bbls on an 'exchange' basis as I have a quantity (don't ask!) of new .223 bbls, for the Axis in 22".
Not wanting to go afoul of the USPS or UPS, just wanting to help out other Savage fans. I would prefer to do the head spacing personally, to allow the customer to have more of a 'drop in' rifle.
If desired, I could supply a 'go' gage for free with a rechambering job. These are pretty easy to make with tool steel, a good lathe, and a Forester kit....

Your opinions please. Firesuit not required? ha ha

thanks

ron

pdog2062
08-11-2013, 07:15 PM
to my knowledge the only part considered a firearm is the one that has the serial number on it,which is the action.

thomae
08-11-2013, 07:51 PM
I think you need to go back to the source and check the BATF regulations since compliance with them is what will keep you out of trouble.

geargrinder
08-11-2013, 09:28 PM
The action is an action, regardless of what is attached to it. A bare action still needs to be sent to a FFL.

sharpshooter
08-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Gunsmithing of any sort requires a FFL. Makes no difference if you never see the serialized part or not. Modifying, manufacturing, or even finishing gun parts requires an FFL. If you do it for others, you are "engaging in the business".

missed
08-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Gunsmithing of any sort requires a FFL. Makes no difference if you never see the serialized part or not. Modifying, manufacturing, or even finishing gun parts requires an FFL. If you do it for others, you are "engaging in the business".

Pretty much, I have a buddy that got busted for engraving on some cowboy action guns.

sinman
08-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Take a chance if you want but you will most likely feel the wrath of the ATF if you do so with no FFL.