PDA

View Full Version : My Plain Jane Beat-Around Reliable Good Ol Huntin Rifle Upgrade Build

Pages : 1 [2]

Chrazy-Chris
10-11-2013, 10:49 PM
While shooting its first groups since all the upgrades, I ran into a pretty serious issue with the trigger mechanism. I would shoot and rack the next round in, but once I got the bolt locked down, the trigger would not be reset and the hammer would already be down.

It turned out the new stock was rubbing on the trigger mechanism. I removed a little bit of material from this area and everything works fine now. This is a Timney trigger.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/9565725915_3124c2b0b7_c.jpg
This is the part where the trigger was contacting the stock.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5470/9565725025_871fde8ab2_c.jpg
Here you can see the lighter spot where I removed some material with the dremel so the trigger could function freely.

rattfink
10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I have enjoyed this thread very much. I liked your premise: to make a custom rifle that resembles the original but nicer. The execution was elegant.

Chrazy-Chris
10-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks! Elk hunt in only a few weeks and deer hunt another two after that! I hope to post some pictures of dead animals to round out the thread.

wbm
10-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Definitely would stay with the Hornady Whitetail ammunition.

Chrazy-Chris
10-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Definitely would stay with the Hornady Whitetail ammunition.

I would, except they're 150gr and I want 180gr for elk. I'll probably go back to reloads next year.

RiverSink
10-13-2013, 01:03 AM
I have the same stock on my 30/06, my accutrigger trigger contacted the same spot. I just took the dremal to the stock. I also had to shim my action up a little to float the tang.

Chrazy-Chris
10-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I have the same stock on my 30/06, my accutrigger trigger contacted the same spot. I just took the dremal to the stock. I also had to shim my action up a little to float the tang.

Good to know... It's a potentially dangerous issue with the stock tripping the trigger.

I'll have to take a look at my rear tang. Could you also remove some material to float the tang rather than shimming the receiver? I don't want to defeat the purpose of the full aluminum bedding block.

RiverSink
10-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Yes you could do that, but some solid shims are not going to defeat the purpose of the block either.

RonboF117
10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
If I'm seeing your scope rings setting into your base correctly, it doesn't look as though you are utilizing the recoil lugs built into the base. If in fact that is the case, I'd recommend you move things in order to be sure both front and back are in the lugs. You do have a cross-bolt on each ring base, right? Given your objective diameter, you probably will need to get the next higher rings in order to fit the scope properly without the objective hitting the scope while still allowing you proper eye relief for your intended shooting position. This may also require you to add a cheek riser to get your head in line properly.

Kudos to you for a well thought out upgrade path with good parts. Once you get it dialed in for you, it should provide years of solid shooting.

"The only thing new is the history you don't know."