PDA

View Full Version : Hard bolt lift

handirifle
08-09-2013, 10:17 PM
On my '06 I am noticing the bolt lift is fairly hard. This is not new, but I would like it better. Am thinking of extending the bolt handle a bit, and maybe a larger ball on the end, but I do not want a tactical style due to weight, and this IS a hunting rifle. Of course I COULD go larger and drill out the center to lose some of the weight.

Of you guys that have the large bolt handles, do they hinder or help? I don't want to get prodded in the side when carrying it.

stangfish
08-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I am starting to make my bolt handle knobs out of aluminum.

darkker
08-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Well, it depends on what your question really is....
"Do they help?"
Well they don't fix any of the underlying issues, is that considered helpful?
Whenever you have a longer lever, you increase (wait for it) leverage. Is increased leverage helpful?

The questions sort of answer themselves, don't they? Oh and unless you are making a 40oz sized lead knob; weight shouldn't ever cross your mind, or you need to consider eating some spinach.

Here are your choices:
1)$0 to man-up and live with a Savage's crap.
2) $40 for a longer lever to help mask the problem.
3)$40 to fix the problem.

If you aren't of the mechanical persuasion, call Fred.

handirifle
08-10-2013, 03:26 PM
stangfish
I will be making my own, but hadn't thought of Alum. I MIGHT extend the bolt length a bit, so I wouldn't be able to do that with aluminum, at least I think not.

darkker
You're a real charmer aren't ya!

First off I am fully aware they don't FIX the issue, the issue is the cock on lift design, but I don't consider it "crap" it's a design. Gee is THAT what they call a longer lever, leverage? Very informative!

As for weight, everything adds up! So I don't care how big you are eventually it's too heavy. I am 60 years old, and last year I cut, split and stacked a cord of pine firewood, BY HAND. No log splitter used, just a sledge hammer, wedges and a maul. Done that lately? I think I COULD handle a few extra ounces of weight, I just don't WANT to. That is a personal preference, not a requirement.

As for cost, I'll make my own, but I was looking for CONSTRUCTIVE answers from folks that have the larger handles and hunt with them.

jonbearman
08-10-2013, 05:03 PM
I install stockade stocks bolt lift kit and shorten the big bolt screw by .128 thou and it is beyond sweet.His kit is 7.50 I think. Good to deal with.Fred has great parts but he is overwhelmed with work.

bootsmcguire
08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
I have either factory BT style (Large knob) or "Tactical" Extended handles on all of my rifles, hunting and target. I have drilled out the bases on some of the larger ones to save weight and found it unnecessary. I have not found the longer handles to be an issue as far as jabbing me in the side or anything like that. The only issue with them I have had is I have to remember to put the safety on the rear-most position where it locks the bolt closed. Not a big deal, but once when drawing the rifle off of my shoulder upon arriving to a stand I had the safety in the center position and the bolt had opened while I was walking in. Could it be due to the longer handle, or would it happen with a small handle? Can't say for sure, but large or small handle either one I make sure to lock the bolt while walking in.

I will say the length adds to reduced "felt" bolt lift, and speeds up my cycle time for follow up shots. Especially when wearing gloves and things for colder weather, or slightly chilled hands.

1S1K
08-11-2013, 01:44 AM
I use the BT style myself and find it very satifactory. There's a whole lot more to grab onto (especially with gloves on) and I didn't find it "Heavy". I'm sticking with the BT.

handirifle
08-13-2013, 02:29 AM
The only issue I have is I shoot left handed, (left hand rifles too) but have always carried it on my right shoulder. Thus I end up getting jabbed in the side sometimes, even by my standard bolt. My std bolt is slippery and hard to get ahold of. I need to improve it, so maybe a lift kit, and a redesigned bolt. Maybe SLIGHTLY larger, but knurled? Maybe the BT.

bootsmcguire
08-13-2013, 05:34 PM
If you are getting jabbed when carrying the rifle on your shoulder, the BT is the best option. Its larger and easier to grasp with gloves and cold hands, and being smooth with a bigger radius keeps the jabs from being noticeably sharp.

handirifle
08-13-2013, 08:05 PM
I am thinking that something larger, and maybe a bit longer, but the angle adjusted so it does not protrude a lot.