PDA

View Full Version : Savage mdl. 10 precision carbine or Predator hunter in .223?

jeffc2x
02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
What's the big difference in the 2 rifles?I think they both have the same heavy tapered barrel.Anybody know?Would one be as accurate as the other?
JEFF

82boy
02-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I did a review of the 10 Precision carbine for this site. You have to be a paid member to access it.
Both have the same contour barrel, it is in between a Savage factory sporter, and a varminter contour. I would depend on what preditor hunter you was talking about. If it is the predator hunter max 1 then the only difference would be the paint. If you was talking about either the predator hunter snow, or brush, the difference would be they do not have the "Accu-stock," like the other two aforementioned. Accuracy they would all be on par.

corleone000
02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I believe the Max-1 has the fluted barrel as well (matte black on action and barrel), where the other Predators don't.

jeffc2x
02-11-2010, 12:44 PM
So accuracy is good on both of these ,one not better thsn the other?I'd like to hear from some owners of these about group sizes and what size bullets they shoot.
JEFF

steveinwv
02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
At first, I heard that the 10PC was more accurate. Later on, it was the predator hunter. Something to do with the fact that the predator hunter seemed to be more accurate throughout vast temperature ranges. I always figured it had something to do with the fact that the paint kept the barrel from getting cold. Then they came out with the predator hunter max-1 gun and to get the accuracy up to par on the unpainted barrel, they had to flute it. I suppose it worked, but not for sure.

I'd say buy whichever one that looks the best to you.

82boy
02-11-2010, 10:02 PM
I can say I have never seen any proof that any one is more accurate than the other. I will say that I played heck with the accu-stock, and would prefer something with a wood stock, or good plastic. I felt that there was some bedding issues with this gun. The factory plastic stock are just plain all together horrible. On groups 1/2 inch 5 shoot 100 groups should be no problem. I shot a few promising groups in my review of the 10 PC that measured in the .3 area. I found that it shot everything I feed it equally well, from 52 gr SMK, to 68 gr, to 77 gr SMK's.

Hylander
02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I will say that I played heck with the accu-stock, and would prefer something with a wood stock, or good plastic. I felt that there was some bedding issues with this gun.

I thought the Accustock was solid steel rail that it bedded to ?
What was the Issues ?

82boy
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I thought the Accustock was solid steel rail that it bedded to ?
What was the Issues ?

No the accu-stock has an aluminum c channel that is molded into the stock. There is a few problems I found with it. The action spreads the channel apart as it is tighten down, causing the action/recoil lug height to change. the recoil lugs bottom out in the channel, and cause the action to not be able to fully seat into the channel.

I keep getting weird unexplained fliers out of the gun. (Like you would see in a bedding problem) I don't know if it is the mix of aluminum, in the stock causing harmonics, or if it truly had bedding problems, but the dang thing was weird. I would say it is an excellent hunting rifle but not a precision rifle do to the stock.

I also found that the accu-stock will still flex, it is a great improvement over the plastic "Tupperware stocks, but still a far cry from a good synthetic stock like a HS precision. IMO I would buy a laminated stock Savage before I would buy an accu-stock.