PDA

View Full Version : rear shroud not contacting

Willoughby
08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
the rear shroud on a 111 - not contacting bolt or action ?
this don't seem right
what is it designed to do?
when if ever should it contact bolt handle or receiver?

thomae
08-09-2013, 05:43 PM
When you rotate the bolt handle fully counterclockwise, the ramp on the rear baffle should rub against the corresponding ramp on the bolt handle to provide primary extraction of a chambered cartridge or expended brass.

Willoughby
08-09-2013, 05:52 PM
that's what should happen if it were stationary -instead of sliding on a ball bearing in a groove

but there is to much space between the parts for that to occur
I'm gonna check my other savage rifles tonight to see if any of them contact

stangfish
08-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Try to wiggle it as you are doing what thomae said. It will get tight right before primary extraction.

Willoughby
08-09-2013, 06:40 PM
whats supposed to keep it from sliding forward when bolt handle contacts it
should'nt it be contacting both the receiver and handle at one point near it upper lift limit for it to aid in extraction?
or should it (bind -lock up ) on the bolt body without contacting the receiver?

Willoughby
08-09-2013, 06:41 PM
thanks for the responses guys
I'll do what you suggest & check operation of 4 more savages tonight
thanks again

thomae
08-09-2013, 10:33 PM
should'nt it be contacting both the receiver and handle at one point near it upper lift limit for it to aid in extraction? Yes. Look at the very end where it is widest.

It has to slide around the bolt body (held in place with a detent ball under spring pressure) because it stays stationary while the bolt body cycles underneath it.

There are some defective bolt handles that don't provide good primary extraction. There are a few threads in the forum about that. If you think that is your problem, swap bolt handles with a rifle that has good primary extraction to see if that really is the issue.