PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis concerns....

ShootnScoot
08-09-2013, 01:08 AM
So I'll try to make this short and simple. I currently have a Savage Axis in .223 on layaway(I owe about 200 on it.) The retailer really made it sound good. I held the rifle and I like the ergonomic feel. However, I've been getting some mixed reviews about this rifle. Most of them are positive, but the few negative reviews are a matter of concern for me. I've heard of problems with the action being clunky and stiff, ejection and extraction problems, as well as horrible trigger pull.(non-acutrigger) Has anyone here experienced the same problems? If so, what is the best way to correct this? I was also wondering if it's possible to apply M4/M16 style iron sights on the rifle. I know it comes drilled and tapped for a scope, but I simply prefer iron sights.

n4ue
08-09-2013, 02:04 AM
SnS. You should really enjoy the rifle. I have many Axis rifles including 3 .223s. One is stock, One I converted to .221 Fireball and the #3 will become a .223 AI.
If you look through these posts, you will find many good ideas. The first suggestion is to work on the trigger. Don't bother cutting the Savage spring. A trip to the local ACE Hardware will get the parts you need for a whopping $.90. This simple mod is well described here. If you don't like the 'feel' of the stock, there's lots of good ideas on here how to fix that also.
Also, the gurus who frequent this site will always be more than willing to help.
Welcome and be safe!

ron

pinsnscrews
08-12-2013, 02:04 AM
If your worried about the action being clunky, ask to cycle the rifle before finishing the payments. If you think it feels too loose, ask to try another of the same caliber. The first Axis I tried, felt just loose, and compared to the second, it was. I walked out of the store with the second one.

Pops5683
08-13-2013, 08:17 AM
I just bought an Axis in 308 and have taken it to the range. I found that the bolt and mag were stiff but the more I fired it the better it became. Its very accurate for what it is, an entry level rifle, but it works well and is getting better. Ed

Predator53
08-13-2013, 10:34 PM
I have one in 243 and I shoot every 3 weeks..because I reload also....and it shoots excellent...under 1/2 moa at 200 yrds....only mod..ive done is lighten the trigger.....bipod and a sniper optic scope...ive had no trouble with it.....action is smooth as butter.....but it was alittle tight when new....but I have some rounds threw it now and I'm very happy with it....it will out shoot my brothers 700....and he s a cop..lol

pisgah
08-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Yes, the stock forend is flimsy. That is of absolutely no concern as long as you are not one of those shooters who wants a bipod installed. The action will be a bit rough at first, but oil it and cycle it a few dozen times and that will go away. The trigger? Not great, but easily, quickly and cheaply fixed with about 5 minutes of goof-proof surgery.

I paid $257 for my .223 Axis, brand new, and get 1/2" 100 yard groups with it. What's not to love?