PDA

View Full Version : a little help

rabohacz
08-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Ok guys , how about a little help. Son has a Savage in .308. Long story short, going Mule deer hunting in Sept. I am trying to work up some loads for him. Have 8208XBR and 150 grn SST's on hand. Have you had any luck with this combo ?

Thanks !

thomae
08-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Welcome. I think you will like this forum. Lots of helpful folks are here willing to help you out.
Please take a minute to familiarize yourself with the standing rules of the forum. Most of them are here:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?24732-User-Agreement

For what it's worth, many of the questions you may have (either now or in the future) may already have been answered, so please try searching for answers. If you don't find what you need, please don't hesitate to ask in the appropriate section of the forum.
In general, you usually aren't the first person to not know something or to have a specific issue. We've all been there at one time or another and are happy to help you learn from OUR mistakes instead of making your own.
- We also look forward to learning from YOUR experiences.

Again, welcome.

Now to get to your question: The problem is that what shoots well in one rifle may be a dog in another rifle. Lots of guys will chime in, but frankly, you are going to have to work through your load development. Remember that for hunting, you don't need teeny weeny groups, you need "minute of deer." There are lilkely a lot of .308 loads that are "good enough."

I don't currently have a .308. I hope you get the answers you need.

I am sure that folks with more useful information than I have will chime in.

Also, you might wish to search through this section of the forum for various .308 loads.

Best of luck.

darkker
08-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Anyone else's load is not with your gun, so do your own homework....
The SST's are a decent bullet for mule deer, but a bit soft. Stay away from shoulders if you want any meat left.