PDA

View Full Version : Savage barrells

fragout
08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm a left handed shooter here, and really want a left hand Savage hog hunter chambered in 308.

Since Savage doesn't make one, I'm thinkin about building my own lefty hog hunter.

Does Savage sell bbls?

Does anyone else sell a bbl chambered in 308 at 18 to 20 inches in length with threaded muzzle and iron sights?

stangfish
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
For a while lots of people were selling the barrels. Then 100000000 new savage owners started buying and modifying used rifles...Poof. There all gone.

pdog06
08-05-2013, 08:14 PM
There are many barrel companies out there and almost all of them will make anything you want(brux,criterion,mcgowen, etc). The lead times currently are very long for all of them, but worth it if its what youre wanting.

BTW, we have a classified section on this site where there may or may not be one for sale. A paid subscription will cost you $15/yr but it is well worth it as theres lots of good stuff available. If you are looking for one to buy on this forum, it has to be done thru the classifieds...period.

*NOTE TO ALL WHO POST HERE!!!!* --There will be NO dealing outside of the classified section. Infractions will be issued. Sorry fragout that i have to post this, but lately some people just do not know how to read the rules, and some that know the rule just are too ignorant to adhere to them.

pdog06
08-05-2013, 11:29 PM
boy...that didnt take long....not only do we not read the rules, but not even the other posts in this thread....:rolleyes:

Rifleshooter308
08-06-2013, 11:34 AM
If you want a savage replacement barrel take a look at Numrich. I saw they had .308 barrels in stock not sure about the threaded 20's. Another option is Bergara barrels. They are made in Spain of high quality SS and were designed by Ed Shilen. Grafs carries them. Maybe just a bit less than a McGowen same maybe as a Shaw. I have a Hog Hunter .308 in a BC Tactical Medalist stock and it shoots lights out.

bootsmcguire
08-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Savage does not sell barrels outright to the public. As stated above there are many good makers out there. Personally for the money I am the happiest with CBI (Criterion Barrels) for prefits. But if you need something you can sometimes find a bit cheaper then ER Shaw may be a decent choice. I have a ER Shaw I bought here used in 7mm Rem Mag that will routinely put 3 shots touching at 100yds. and my CBI in 6BR tries to put them through the same hole.

I would be careful with Bergara barrels. Short version is I had 2 of their barrels for a different platform, one had a horribly off center crown and the other had an oversized chamber with gouges in the chamber walls. Bergara basicly told me, "sorry, but we won't even look at them, you'll just have to deal with it."

short round
08-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Iron sights on a different barrel you are most likely to need a gunsmith to install barrel & set head space, so sights line-up.

big honkin jeep
08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Personally I find the sporter barrels much more attractive for hunting. As I have gotten older humping extra weight and bulk around has lost it's appeal. Having a sporter barrel shortened threaded or both is a task that can be accomplished by most any gunsmith. 5/8x24 is the thread pitch on the 10HH as well as the 10PC and makes it compatible with a lot of .30 cal muzzle devices. Are iron sights a necessity? As stated above installing a barrel that already has them on a different action definitely complicates things beyond the average tinker. Here's a handy little carbine I put together from starting with a left handed wood stocked blind mag model 11 in .243.
It now has a synthetic stock(converted from right to left), detachable mag,and a shortened to 16" threaded and braked sporter barrel (gunsmith shortened crowned and threaded it for me). All the parts were purchased from the classifieds here and it was a fun project that gave me just what I wanted. A light handy powerful little carbine (37" overall length) that wont kick the snot out of me.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_1389_zps0f9eb333.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/100_1389_zps0f9eb333.jpg.html)

fragout
08-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. ( Nice lookin rifle above BHJ)

I may have to forego the desire to have iron sights for this project.

dnsmith
08-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Personally I find the sporter barrels much more attractive for hunting. As I have gotten older humping extra weight and bulk around has lost it's appeal. Having a sporter barrel shortened threaded or both is a task that can be accomplished by most any gunsmith. 5/8x24 is the thread pitch on the 10HH as well as the 10PC and makes it compatible with a lot of .30 cal muzzle devices. Are iron sights a necessity? As stated above installing a barrel that already has them on a different action definitely complicates things beyond the average tinker. Here's a handy little carbine I put together from starting with a left handed wood stocked blind mag model 11 in .243.
It now has a synthetic stock(converted from right to left), detachable mag,and a shortened to 16" threaded and braked sporter barrel (gunsmith shortened crowned and threaded it for me). All the parts were purchased from the classifieds here and it was a fun project that gave me just what I wanted. A light handy powerful little carbine (37" overall length) that wont kick the snot out of me.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_1389_zps0f9eb333.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/100_1389_zps0f9eb333.jpg.html)

that's a nice setup there, I like it.

LoneWolf
08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Gun shack currently has McGowan barrels I looked at the 20", but opted for the 26". Hopefully get it together this weekend. They were varmint contour however.

Oh and I may make my 20" threaded factory barrel available after I take it off. So keep your eyes on the classifieds as well.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

missed
08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm a lefty too and I think I am going to buy a 11 trophy hunter and have the barrel cut to 16.25" or buy a barrel from Apache or one of the sponsors. I would call savage and see if they will build you a short barreled lefty. When I'm ready I'm going to call and ask if they will before buying the trophy hunter and see how the prices work out.

tinkerer
08-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Look around, they're many places. I am forbidden by the rules from locating them for you.

Larry in Texas
Tinkerer