PDA

View Full Version : Mounts for 114 Classic

TOO Builder
07-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I finally jumped off the fence and ordered a 4200 3-9x40 to go on top of my 114 in 25-06. I normally use a Ken Farrell base and Burris rings but thought I may want to go with something a bit less bulky looking than the Picatinny style one piece base. I want something that really compliments the classic good looks of the 114. Any of you use the Dead Nutz or Talley offerings? Pic would be nice if you have them. Other suggestions? Thanks, TB

KRWeiss
12-08-2009, 04:06 AM
This is my first post on this board so take it easy on me. ;D

I've owned a Savage 116 Weather Warrior w/scope bundle for a few years. The scope left me wanting more so I purchased a Nikon 4-16x42sf and mounted it to my rifle using DNZ's one piece scope mount (#14200).

At first I torqued the rings down to 15 in/lbs but the scope moved forward in the rings after the repeated sharp recoil of the 270WSM round (and slipping on a rock). After using a 25 in/lbs torque driver there are no more problems. 8) Ded Nutz mounts have a very consistant finish, and are unusually robust with only 3 parts and 8 hex cap screws, almost like welding the scope to the rifle :), and on a stainless receiver the matte black rings are a good transition to the matte black scope.

I’m not sure how the Ded Nutz matte black would look on a higher end rifle like yours, but I’m confident it’ll work great and I recommend it for that purpose.

BobT
12-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I have always thought these were by far the best looking factory rings available-

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,25579.0.html

Hany is a great guy to deal with also. I think they would complement your rifle nicely.

Bob