PDA

View Full Version : Want to try and build a 6.5 SAUM

JRSerm
08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
My buddy ordered one of the GAP 6.5 Extreme Hunters. It has me interested in building one on a savage action. I was hoping to get some thoughts on what some of you would recommend. Here is as far as I have gotten so far.

Looking at buying a Model 16 300 WSM (or 7mm WSM) for the donor action so I would have a short action/Large shank. Is there a different model savage action I should be looking for? I just saw one of these for sale used. I would like to be able to have a bottom metal set up with detachable mags when it is finished.

Order a 6.5 barrel blank. Recommendations on from who? I bought a Shilen for my last build but I am open. I spoke with Criterion about a blank but it sounds like I would have to get it from Jim and Northland, which is not a problem. They are using a #3 Bartlein, 24" .670ish at the muzzle. 3.5lbs

Order a 6.5 SAUM reamer set and go guage and have a local gunsmith chamber the barrel.

I saw on another thread that someone thought that the WSM bolt would work for the SAUM but I will need to find out more about that.

That is my list to get started. Again, curious what some of you with more experience would have to say. Thanks!

EFBell
08-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Why not just stay with the WSM case. Get some 270WSM cases, one pass through a sizing die and your good to go. Thats what I did with my 257WSM and it worked like a charm. But if you really have to have a SAUM (even though the WSM case has the edge) because thats what you want I can understand. Pac-Nor made me a prefit barrel for no neck turn with the above setup and it shoots great.

JRSerm
08-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I plan on calling Pac-Nor this week. Thanks for the info.

I want to give this caliber a try. I have some other large magnums but this seems interesting. My friend will have the dies and brass prep equipment it requires so I won't have to buy those. More of a fun challenge as I see it.

EFBell
08-04-2013, 09:17 PM
It should be pretty nasty. My 257 shoots real well with 110 grain accubonds at around 3470 FPS with IMR 4350. Case life is very short, 3 loads and there loose in the primer pocket. But who cares, it is a purpose built hunting rig that shoots just the way I wanted it to.

Good luck with it.

BoilerUP
08-04-2013, 10:18 PM
WSM bolt will work fine with SAUM case.

...and you'd probably be just fine with a small shank action.

JRSerm
08-05-2013, 12:35 AM
I was initially told that I would need a large shank but have since seen threads stating as you did that I didn't need one. I found a good deal on this Model 16 300 WSM so I figure I would go with it. Will I have any problem converting it to a bottom metal/ Magazine fed set up?

hank440
08-05-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm also taking on a similar project except I odered a 11FCNS in 300wsm. It's a SA small shank.

I plan to order a Mcgowen barrel it may take 6 months to get but they are up to the job.

Now to find a good light stock.

Hank

SHL540KB308
08-05-2013, 10:36 PM
JR, I built a 6.5 SAUM a few years ago before it was the thing to have, brass not available because no one wanted it, now you can't get it because everyone wants it. On the Hide I was told the SAUM was out dated before it was introduced, what a worthless round and barrels only last 300 rounds. Don't think the informers ever owned one. I have 2 (.30 and 6.5) both shoot excellent, the 6.5 is very hard on brass, primer pockets. Start with 7mm SAUM brass, simple step down on the neck. Built mine as a single shot on a Target action, large shank. Only problem you might have is the bullet will be entering the throat before the case head clears the mag depending on your OAL. I like the 139gr Scenars loaded long. One of the best performing guns I ever built for small targets at a distance.

I used Krieger Medium Palma barrels, 6.5mm 1:8.5 twist.

As EFBell stated, the 270 WSM is also very good, have built a couple for cutomers, they do exceed the SAUM and brass is easier to come by and cheaper. Only downside is it takes 6 to 9 grs more powder. The little SAUM case is actually pretty efficient.

Later, Brad

Skunce
08-06-2013, 12:28 AM
What's your OAL length going to be on the 6.5 SAUM? If you want to seat your bullets long, you may need a long action. I have a 7mm SAUM with a long throat to get the bullet base up past the shoulder neck junction and it's a single shot only on a short action. The WSM bolt head is the correct one to use. Good luck with your project.

Bunsen
11-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Apologies for necro-posting this thread, but I am curious if anyone had any updates? I am begining to acquire parts for my 6.5 SAUM build and originally had planned on just picking up a SA small shank action and swapping the bolt head out for a PTG Mag bolt head. I've been informed that I would need a large shank action, as well as a different baffle, and firing pin assembly if I went with the standard 0.473 bolt.

Now instead I'm looking at picking up as a donor action either a:
11 TH XP
16 TH XP
16 FHSS

all in .300WSM. I "think" the biggest difference between the 11 and 16 TH XP is the 16 is an Accustock.

The stock will be a Manner's T2, DBM will be PTG's new Savage Stealth system, and the barrel is a custom blank to be chambered and shank threaded by my gun smith.

Any information and suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Hotolds442
11-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Let me interject something for you to think about. As an owner of a few 350 Remington Mags for the last 30 years, I have seen Remington completely drop all support for the cartridge on more than one occasion. Factory loads were no longer available, which won't concern you too much, and brass was only manufactured in small, special runs every couple of years. Brass supply literally dried up and even used brass was scarce. Sales of the SAUM lineup is weak, and Remington is selling more rifles chambered in the WSM series than their own SAUM's. Brass will eventually go to the same status as the 350 Mag. I don't see the WSM chamberings going that route anytime soon. There is nothing wrong with the 6.5 SAUM, or the 6.5 WSM, but I think you'd be money ahead to go with the WSM if it's not too late to change direction. Just my .02

Bunsen
11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
That is an excellent point, and currently finding new .300 SAUM or 7mm SAUM brass to make 6.5 SAUM is a bugger! Especially with all the LR hunters and competition guys scavenging it for their forthcoming builds from GAP and elsewhere. Time will tell though on brass availability and hopefully a manufacturer other than Remington will step in and make 6.5 SAUM brass. The one nice thing though is once you do acquire brass with the low pressure loadings with H1000 keeping it below 3200fps the brass tends to last quite awhile.

As to my earlier post the information about the need for a different baffle and firing pin assembly appears to be incorrect according to PTG engineers. The large versus small shank debate is still open though.

I did also find out that the any of the Savages that have a bottom bolt release will NOT work with the PTG stealth bottom metal. So the idea of an 11 or 16 donor rifle is scrapped.

Apache
11-22-2013, 09:50 PM
;) Hint:

Buy enough brass to last the expected life of the barrel. I do that for any cartridge that is questionable about case availability.

bootsmcguire
11-22-2013, 10:57 PM
You can go Small Shank and be just fine. I have a 6-WSM barrel on a Small shank and it works great. As for an action you may consider picking up a CF-LA in 7 or 300 mag. I built my 6-WSM on a CF-LA and it works great, feeds fine, and the LA lets me seat bullets as long as I want.

I agree with Jim, if you are going to go with a brass that may get scarce I would lay into a good supply before going that route. It sux getting a barrel/gun that you want to shoot and can't because nobody makes brass/ammo.

Just some things to think about. Good Luck.

Bunsen
11-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info! I have lots of brass on order and already have the powder, primers and projectiles for the probable life of the barrel. I touched base with my gunsmith and he too felt that small shank was adequate for the pressures my load would be at. I'm sticking with the SA, as OAL with 140gr Amax should be less than 2.900". The barrel won't be ready until February so I still have some time to wait yet. :(

BoilerUP
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
George Gardner got Hornady to make 6mm Creedmoor brass, in part because he agreed to buy a few hundred thousand pieces of the stuff. And having proper headstamp brass has helped make the 6 Creed even more popular in competition circles than it already was.

The man is now trying to get 6.5 4S (SAUM) factory brass made to his specs, and given his track record and this cartridge's position as The Next Big Thing* I would not be surprised to see something come out of SHOT.

jbjh
11-23-2013, 03:00 AM
I did also find out that the any of the Savages that have a bottom bolt release will NOT work with the PTG stealth bottom metal. So the idea of an 11 or 16 donor rifle is scrapped.

I just held a brand new Model 11 top bolt release gun today. They're out there. Heck, just use a Stevens 200. You know that even if it had and Accutrigger, you'd get an aftermarket trigger anyway.