PDA

View Full Version : Old bolt in new Savage??

corleone000
02-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I would like to use an old model savage (pre-accustock) bolt a new Savage Accustock design gun. I like the bolt release at the trigger guard on the new design, but I don't like the "cocked" indicator in the bolt on the new design. I don't want the new bolt "cocked" indicator at all and would prefer not to have that hole that the indicator protrudes from out the back of the bolt (i.e. possible gas vent) pointed back to my eyes. Has anyone thought or tried this before? Am I being overly paranoid?

This hybrid rifle would not have a cocking indicator...but I don't ever remember needing one on any of my other rifles (bolt, semi-auto, or pump). Maybe I haven't been shooting enough outside the range to notice a need for a cocked indicator.

Thoughts? I appreciate any input.

Fjold
02-09-2010, 07:22 PM
The cocked indicator makes no sense to me. If the bolt is closed, it's cocked. The only time it isn't is when I have just fired a round but then I cycle the action and it's cocked.

sharpshooter
02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
It would be very easy to accomplish what you want. All you need is a solid bolt assembly screw and the standard cocking piece. I have both items on the shelf, about 8 bucks.

corleone000
02-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Sharp & Fjold,
Thanks for your comments. Is there any solid reason for needing a 'cocked' indicator. I agree completly iwth Fjold in his assessment of the whole issue. But maybe I have overlooked something...
Also, would there be any headspace issues with switching bolt components?
Thanks again.

sharpshooter
02-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Headspace is controlled by the bolt head. Changing the bolt assembly screw and cocking piece has nothing to do with it.

juanvaldez
09-18-2010, 06:11 PM
I understand the bolt assembly screw but why is a new cocking piece needed? I have not seen the new style bolt yet so forgive me if is obvious.

juliomorris
09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Pull the firing pin assembly out of the old bolt and bas drop it into the new bolt and tighten up the BAS. Your done I have done it on 2 of mine so i could do a lift job easier.

juanvaldez
09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
So you can't just change the BAS? Why the firing pin assembly and cocking piece?

juliomorris
09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
The firing pin has an extension on it that acts as the indictator. The old style does not. They has different BAS and firing pin but the cocking piece is the same.