PDA

View Full Version : Word of caution for the Accutrigger

Hovering Sniper
08-03-2013, 09:02 PM
It is very tempting to run the trigger pull down to under a pound with the Accutrigger (Target Red). On the bench I had a nice crisp 10 oz trigger pull with no issues with trigger break. I figured I'd be good to go for my first F-Class competition with a nice light trigger. Well the first 20 round string went flawlessly and was getting pretty good scores. The second string started off with 3-Xs, 3-10s and 2-9s, then nothing. The trigger wouldn't budge. After checking the usual suspects, bolt, ammo, proper trigger pull, safety all were good. Another Savage shooter saw my dilemma and offered up that the trigger spring slipped. So I got my trusty tool kit from my range bag and pulled the action from the stock on the firing line. One quick glance, and it was obvious that he was right. A couple of twists on the spring reseated the coils and I was back in business. I had no idea what I put the trigger pull to, but it was definitely more than what I had, reassembled my rifle, and picked up on the third string. Didn't do as well on the third string, but there was a lot going on, in a real short period of time. But I didn't quit and finished the match.

After getting back home, I pulled my rifle apart and checked the trigger spring again. I found that the spring could be turned pretty easily, and I figured recoil could cause this problem to occur again, so I put the tension at 1.5 lbs and added a couple of drops of Loctite on the spring and let it set. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but so far so good and the trigger pull has stayed at 1.5 lbs.

Moral of the story is, resist the urge to lighten the trigger too much with the Accutrigger, it may not hold as long as you hope.

stangfish
08-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Good post, As I was reading it I had already decided the solution. The thing is I would not have done that untill I had the problem. I might have pushed on the trigger to set it on the sear to finish the match, but it is better to not have that issue. Thanks for posting that.

rotts4u
08-04-2013, 10:26 PM
I have been having the same problem with mine. After adjusting it moved back after 10-15 rounds. I am hoping locktite fixed it

thomae
08-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Threadlockers are anaerobic adhesives, which means that they harden in the absence of oxygen, such as between the threads of fasteners. It is possible that the accutrigger spring may be a bit too open to allow this to happen. Perhaps if you used nail polish or a different type of adhesive, it might hold better.

Hovering Sniper
08-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Thanks Thomae, if/when this slips again, I'll have to raid the wife's polish drawer. I think keeping the trigger pull above 1 lb will be helpful as well.

junkout
08-05-2013, 12:23 AM
I like the accutrigger for the sole purpose of the sear block! I had my first accutrigger set at ounces (don't breath too heavy!) with a little manipulation of a TIG. It wouldn't lock up just drop the sear if I functioned it too quickly. I know this is not safe but for my bench rifle and finalizing my loads it was great!! Not advocating molesting the accutrigger but it served its purpose when no other would!!

Baryngyl
08-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Threadlockers are anaerobic adhesives, which means that they harden in the absence of oxygen, such as between the threads of fasteners. It is possible that the accutrigger spring may be a bit too open to allow this to happen. Perhaps if you used nail polish or a different type of adhesive, it might hold better.

How come they do not harden in the tube they come in?

Michael Grace

thomae
08-05-2013, 07:52 AM
How come they do not harden in the tube they come in?
Michael GraceThe anaerobic bottles are specially formulated oxygen-permeable polyethylene bottles that allow air to pass through the wall of the bottle to maintain stability of the liquid product inside the container. The bottle is also not filled to the top for stability purposes. A 50 ml bottle does indeed contain 50 ml's of product in a larger bottle.

Joe L
08-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Great post and recommendations. Learn something new each visit to this site! I am very happy with a 2+ lb trigger myself, but it is always good to know what problems may occur when we back off the spring tension.

Joe

Dennis
08-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Perhaps if you used nail polish or a different type of adhesive, it might hold better.

Nail Polish is about the best and it works, at least for me. I just earlier today removed the screws on my Evolution trigger and applied nail polish on them and reinstalled. CA glue will work as well, maybe too good, and it's expensive. Super glue is an option, again, expensive and has a short shelf life.

But I have applied Red Loc Tite to the outer surfaces where the threads go in, let it dry a few days and I have not had a problem. Otherwise, nail polish is the most economical and works.

Dennis

Hovering Sniper
08-07-2013, 06:02 PM
UPDATE: Put 50 rounds through her today and had ZERO slip with the trigger spring. Trigger pull remained the same at 1.5 lbs and the trigger spring stayed in the same spot!!! Hopefully this will continue to work.

Additionally I finally solved my cheek height issue. I velcro'd a Tall Choat cheek rest (made for an AR type gun) to the top of my stock, and it worked flawlessly!!! Like a dummy, I forgot to take pictures, but I will soon. Best part about this setup is that I get the height I need and not interfere with cleaning-rod operations because I can easily remove it, and there is nothing on the bottom of my stock to mess with rear bag travel.

82boy
08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I find it hard to believe that the accutrigger spring would slip off, unless someone was modifying things such as cutting coils, or doing something else. I have had several accu-trigger guns and ran them at or under the 1 lbs area, and never had a spring slip. I have a target accutrigger that was tweaked and breaks at a consistent 4oz, this rifle has fired hundreds of rounds in Benchrest competition, and never failed. The most common problem with the accutriggers is associated with the weight of the clunky heavy factory bolt handles, and the trigger will slip and cause the trigger to lock up against the safety leaver. Savage tried to band aid fix this problem by placing a rubber bugger under the bolt handle in latter models.

Hovering Sniper
08-13-2013, 12:16 AM
I purchased this rifle new, and would be deathly afraid to cut any coils or any other permanent modification that could damage it. The only modifications has been just turning the spring. It's not a custom action, so it really doesn't surprise me that they are not all exactly the same.
As far as the "little bugger" under the bolt handle, I was curious what that was there for.