PDA

View Full Version : Installed XLR Chassis on Savage 10 FCP-K .308

Pages : [1] 2

Joe L
08-03-2013, 02:14 PM
I finally got my XLR chassis with the folder and extended hand guard in on Friday night. Installed it and adjusted the scope and stock this morning. Here is a short video with some details for anyone that is interested. There isn't any audio in the video yet--I will add it after I shoot the gun on Sunday.

http://youtu.be/v1W3mtbYINI

Overall, very happy so far. No play in the folding mechanism at all, everything fit perfectly, all hardware was tight and unblemished.

If it shoots as good as it feels, I'll be happy. This is a .5MOA gun with the Accustock, but I was never able to get completely comfortable behind it and I couldn't hold it on target in recoil.

Joe

Joe L
08-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Shot it this morning. All good. First time I have videod myself. Looks like I need to move my hips over to the right and preload the bipod a little more. Very windy, groups at 200 and 300 were spread horizontally. Gun didn't jump bad at all, compared to the way I had to shoot the Accustock. I still have some adjusting to do, but this was an excellent first outing, 50 rounds total including zeroing the scope at 100 yards and getting the cheek rest and scope eye relief correct.

http://youtu.be/NT-JOpunCOA

Joe

rotts4u
08-04-2013, 10:27 PM
How much was the stock?

Joe L
08-04-2013, 10:34 PM
With the folder and longer front tube and a 5 round magazine, about $1000. Delivery was 12 weeks, 50% up front, 50% on shipment.

Joe

Joe L
08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Shot it again today. Adjusted the scope eye relief again and experimented with hand position on the pistol grip. Still getting used to the stock but so far, really, really happy with it.

Joe

rotts4u
08-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Looks nice !!

Joe L
08-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Shot it again last night. Two good groups at 300 yards. Here is a video, including the targets.

I have the bipod height too low so my right shoulder is too low. I'm getting there.

http://youtu.be/jGL_5qfsrZQ

Very happy with this stock.

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Model-10/i-K8Vz7Dp/0/M/IMG_0431-M.jpg

Joe

Joe L
08-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Raised the bipod an inch, adjusted cheek weld and eye relief, getting more consistent. Almost back to where I was before changing the chassis now.

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Model-10/i-dD928BD/0/M/IMG_0432-M.jpg

Joe

eddiesindian
08-17-2013, 02:39 PM
great shooting.
there,s nothing worse than spending so much time/money/effort on a rig only to have it fall short of your expectations, but this one has landed right where you want it. little tweek here and there and your set.
Friend of mine just gave a box of 20 of rem match 168,s. honestly, Ive never tried shooting fact-box ammo because 1: Ive always loaded my own to fit my rifle with excellant results, 2: cost. But in true shooters fashion, Im always open for suggestions so Im gonna give them a go. the price tag was free-99 so thats affordable to me.
Im extremely content with my load but if these things prove worthy?....
Again...congrates on your results~

Joe L
08-17-2013, 03:58 PM
EddiesIndian--My rifle absolutely thrives on the Remington Premier Match 168's. Also Federal GMMK. You might like them!

Today I made some more checks. I shortened the length of pull nearly 3/4 inch, reset the scope eye relief and the cheek weld. Checked everything on the floor with the bipod the same as for the 100 yard Thursday evening shots. This latest change helped a lot in getting more comfortable behind the rifle. I am getting there.

I have been having some light strike problems with the gun. I took the bolt apart and adjusted the firing pin to 0.055". I also raised the Accutrigger pull weight to 2 lb 8 oz from 2 lb 1 oz. I think the spring loosened a little on me. I had it set at 2.5 originally, I believe.

So, Sunday should be interesting. I've changed a bunch of stuff, but I am definitely more comfortable behind the gun after the changes. The proof will be in the number of "good" groups I can shoot on Sunday at 300 yards.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help. This is fun.

Joe

eddiesindian
08-18-2013, 04:10 AM
yep...lots of fun for sure. especially when you start sending them out to 1K

Joe L
08-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Well, raising the bipod helped with the comfort level but it will take a little more practice to get used to the new position and to tighten up the groups. Here is another short video. I may have to move my left elbow forward to lower my left shoulder any more.

http://youtu.be/u6gUhVSUp7Y

It will be a couple of weeks before I can shoot it at 500 meters or more.

Joe

eddiesindian
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
i think your ready to go out to 500 now. I can almost gaurantee you,ll smack an 8"X8" plate out to 5 easy.....and...if you have a 20MOA base, you can send those 168,s out to 1K with good results as well (wind dependant)

Joe L
08-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Eddiesindian--Ha! I meant it will be a couple of weeks before I will have access to the 500 m range! I have shot several good groups at that distance earlier in the year with the Accustock, can't wait to try it again with the new hardware.

Joe

eddiesindian
08-21-2013, 09:19 PM
roger that.
Were so spoiled here in El Paso Tx (southwest tx) thats theres several places in the mountains/valleys to find a good and safe firing lane out to distance...from 100 yds out to a mile if you so wish.

Tjw86
03-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Nice shooting. Thanks for the videos, they gave me some inspiration.

chukarmandoo
04-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Joe, what is your impression of the xlr now. Did you get things worked out. I have looked at the new XLR Element but I think right now it would still be hard to beat the Accustock I have on my FCP-SR, At least for me. One other question, did you have to get taller rings when you went to the new stock? Is recoil management better with the Xlr?

Joe L
04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
chukarmandoo--Still very happy with the XLR Chassis. I liked the Accustock OK except for the fit. Accuracy wise it was fine. I believe I went from low to medium scope rings, can't remember for sure. With the hand guard, you may have to add just a little height to the rings.

I haven't shot the gun much in the last couple of months. We started bullseye pistol matches and I have been trying to learn that. Will probably shoot the .308 again in a couple of weeks. I did get it out and dry fire on a mat in the den one night last weekend. That gun is heavy set up like a sniper rifle!

Joe

Joe L
04-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Oh, one other thing. Recoil management is better with the XLR chassis, I think because I can get behind the gun properly. If the fit is wrong, the gun won't return to the target after firing. When it is right, it will.
Joe

chukarmandoo
04-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks Joe for the update. With mine the stock is fine but it is hard to stay on target. Mostly just bad form I think from me. Anyway I was looking at the new Element from xlr and was thinking about getting one (latter this year) when they are offered in a savage. Probably just keep the accustock and learn to drive it right.