PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Scope Glass

Tightgroups
02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
How do you guys do it? My books (Leupold) says to use a lens brush first, then alcohol or a good quality glass cleaner. But it doesn't say what type of alcohol, and whats good, and bad quality glass cleaner? Windex?? yes. no?
M.

xhogboss
02-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Lens brush first. Followed by a liquid cleaner that doesn't contain ammonia. I use a product called Brillianize - cleans and polishes and doesn't seem to damage the applied coatings.

Avoid using anything that is made from wood fibers, like toilet paper or paper towels - all contain some abrasives I'm told.

rjtfroggy
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I use compressed air from a small can or the brush, then rubbing alcohol on a eyeglass cloth. In a pinch I will use one of those eyeglass wipes that come in the little sealed envelopes.

EFBell
02-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Ziess spray and a couple of lens cleaning cloths from Cabellas, look and feel like real chamois only soft when dry. Lens pen in the field.

Tightgroups
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Ed, you mentioned using a lens pin, I have one from Leupold, with a retractable brush on one end and a small round something on the other, is that flat round thing to wipe of finger prints etc.? Its been in a gun case for years.
This is the first time I considered using the thing.
How about glass cleaner on a cotton gun patch? Lens cleaning cloths would be better I guess.
Mike.