PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Prairie dog trip

quickkillaught6
08-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Well I figured I would let everyone know how our 2013 prairie rat killing experience went. From Indiana to South Dakota if you have to drive more than 2-3 hours to get some place that has prairie dogs..... DONT go! 3 of us ended up going this year i fired a TOTAL OF 175 rounds TOTAL!!! drove almost 900 miles one way to shoot less than 200 rounds. did get to kill a rattlesnake though other than that it was a huge waste of money and time. If it wasnt the droubt it was the plaque if it wasnt the plaque it was something else. very dissapointed in how things went this year. will probably lay off a few years then shoot for wyoming in the future. We had been promised good shooting on 2-3 seperate dog towns or we wouldnt have even made the trip. good luck to all going but if it were me id save the ammo and wait it out.

snowgetter1
08-02-2013, 10:04 PM
That is a bummer.

Dune
08-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Me and a couple buddies had been going every summer and having a great time. But last years trip was much like yours and we did not go this year. Someone else I know did go this year and he said the shooting was very poor due to the plague, although he was shooting public land.

quickkillaught6
08-06-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear that man. I think it will be a few years before we go back that way. Last year I ran 1000 rounds through 1 rifle in a little over a day of shooting. We had great weather and good shooting last year. I don't know that we will try South Dakota again may try to shoot for Wyoming next time, but yes last year was a drought but we still had good shooting. I was just disappointed but it beat being at work I guess. There was another group there at the chamber of commerce out there looking for dog towns the day we left they were from the same state we were from lol.