PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: American Rifleman article on 17 WSM

Poor Shot
08-01-2013, 04:37 PM
After reading the article again, I noticed a statement that started me wondering if I was reading it right. The discussion there is about the .17wsm cartridge and its availability. On page 55, in the left hand column, this seems to be Winchesters answer to that: "We have ensured that the .17 WSM will be loaded on a regular basis in our magnum rotation." To me that means that Winchester is not cranking out the .17wsm cartridges as fast as they can on a production line to try to meet the demand, but are making some of the .17wsm's then stopping that and making something else for a while, then maybe something else then maybe in a month or two coming back to the .17wsm. Maybe that has something to do with the apparent shortage of the supply of the .17wsm's. Does this make any sense?

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/wood/misc/progress.gif

stomp442
08-01-2013, 05:02 PM
The fact that they used the word rotation makes me think this as well. There seems to be plenty of ammo available here where I live but I'm sure that's because you can't find a rifle to shoot it anywhere in the county.

J.Baker
08-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Every type of ammunition out there is made on a rotation. Look at all the different cartridges we have, do you think each manufacturer actually buys dedicated machines to run dedicated production lines for each and every one of them? Do you realize how big their plant would have to be to house all those lines?

That reference just tells me they're making this ammunition on the same production line as they make the 17 HMR and 22 WMR ammunition and as expected they'll rotate production time between the three as needed. Market demand will dictate which cartridge sees more time in production just like every other cartridge out there.

Savage does the same thing with their rifles. The same machines are used to make all their different models be it a Model 11 package gun or a Model 12 Palma or a Model 114 American Classic. They schedule runs of specific models based on orders, and the ammunition manufacturers do the same.

Downunderimfire
08-02-2013, 02:52 AM
I guess it also depends on when they are making the cases (at the fastening plant)

plinkin
08-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Every type of ammunition out there is made on a rotation. Look at all the different cartridges we have, do you think each manufacturer actually buys dedicated machines to run dedicated production lines for each and every one of them? Do you realize how big their plant would have to be to house all those lines?

That reference just tells me they're making this ammunition on the same production line as they make the 17 HMR and 22 WMR ammunition and as expected they'll rotate production time between the three as needed. Market demand will dictate which cartridge sees more time in production just like every other cartridge out there.

Savage does the same thing with their rifles. The same machines are used to make all their different models be it a Model 11 package gun or a Model 12 Palma or a Model 114 American Classic. They schedule runs of specific models based on orders, and the ammunition manufacturers do the same.

I am glad I am not the only one who understands this. Watching the whiners on Facebook complain about how they can't get this or that or Savage hasn't replaced their gun yet, blah blah.

Thanks Mr F