PDA

View Full Version : Sex Change

Uncle Mike
06-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Well, I bought a 116 FHSS (Hinged Floorplate).
I would like to change the hinged floorplate feed over to a detachable magazine feed.

I know that the bottom metal may have to be changed and magazines bought, is there anything more to this swap that you gentlemen may know of?

Is the bottom metal of the 'hinged floorplate' the same as the 'detachable magazine' bottom metal sans the hinged door?

The rifle is a center feed 30-06.

Thanx- ;)

sharpshooter
06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
The DBM magazine frame is different from the HFP frame, however they will fit in the same inlet. You will need the DBM magazine frame and a magazine cap. The mag box and follower assembly can be removed from the HFP assembly and by adding the bottom cap, transforms it into a detachable magazine.

Uncle Mike
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey, Sharpshooter thanks a bunch. I was contemplating on changing this thing over to a DBM.
Do you know if Savage will sell the DBM magazine frame and a cap?

psharon97
07-01-2009, 12:07 AM
SharpShooterSupply can hook you up with everything you need to convert your rifle.

Uncle Mike
07-03-2009, 10:58 AM
;D Again a BIG THANK YOU to Fred and Lisa for their help with converting a HFP to a DBM rifle.

Spoke with Lisa and she was a big help, polite and had the parts on the way the very next day. ;D
Hope this project will work now!

;D

mogunr
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I called Sharpshooters and was told that they haven't got to making DBM for .30-06
??

pdog06
08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I called Sharpshooters and was told that they haven't got to making DBM for .30-06
??

They were probably talking about the extended DBM that holds like 10 rounds. The one Mike is doing is just converting his to a factory setup, using all factory Savage parts.

Cycler
08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Here is the other side of the same question. I have a 16SS with the hinged floor plate and am thinking of some major modifications like a replacement barrel and stock but I do like the hinged floor plate. So I'm wondering if aftermarket stocks will accept the HFP hardware? Particularly will SSS's stocks accept it?

outlawkyote
08-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Here is the other side of the same question. I have a 16SS with the hinged floor plate and am thinking of some major modifications like a replacement barrel and stock but I do like the hinged floor plate. So I'm wondering if aftermarket stocks will accept the HFP hardware? Particularly will SSS's stocks accept it?

If thats what you want, Im sure they will build it to your specs. Better ask to be sure though

mogunr
08-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to call and discuss it a little further with them. I like the HFP but I just don't care for how easy it is to bump the release and cause it to come open. If there were a way to tighten it up...I wonder how others like their DBM? UncleMike?

psharon97
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
If you describe to SSS what you want and the issue, Fred can fix that problem for you. His barrels are awesome and so are the rest of his parts. I wouldn't hesitate to have him build another great shooter for me.

Balljoint
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Check this web site and see if it helps
http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1