PDA

View Full Version : Range finders

Pages : [1] 2

stomp442
07-31-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm looking to upgrade range finders. I currently own a Nikon 550 and am very happy with it but I need more range. The type of hunting I do more often than not requires shots of 600 plus. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems they all have some fairly negative reviews about not being able to reach the claimed yardage. Both of my brothers own leica range finders one a 800 that works flawlessly and the other a brand new 1200 that will only make it to 600 yards on house sized objects and leica gave him such a run around on the customer service end that he gave up messing with them and I don't even want to bother with them. So my question is what range finders do you guys use to accurately range deer to 1000 yards?

J.Baker
07-31-2013, 03:30 PM
I think you'll find that the listed range for every single rangefinder on the market is pretty much wishful thinking. As I'm sure you know there are two types of target for ranging - reflective and non-reflective. Most companies will use a very generously estimated reflective figure in all of their marketing mumbo-jumbo as that's the figure everyone looks at when it comes to deciding on a range finder. However, it's the non-reflective specification that's most important as that's a much better gauge of it's ranging capability in the real world on real objects/targets.

That said, your best bet is to look for one advertised to have a range nearly double that of what you really need it for. For example, if you regularly take shots out to 600 yards then you'd want a rangefinder with a claimed rating of 1200 yards or better. Also, at those ranges you'll probably want one with 6x or higher magnification which will allow you to better aim the laser for more accurate ranging. You'd be surprised how easy it is to miss the broad side of a barn with a tiny little laser beam from 1,000 yards away when you only have zero or 2x magnification.

stomp442
07-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah I realize this and there is a couple out there like the Zeiss victory and Bushnell elite 1600 that claim 900 on non reflective targets. I'm really looking for real world first hand experience on if they reliably do this.

87predator
07-31-2013, 04:44 PM
I don't have first hand experience, but am in same boat as you. A lot of guys are using the leica 1600 and ranging deer @ 800+ yards, or the G7 BR2. It just depends what you want to spend. I will probably save for the G7, but if I needed one right now, would buy the leica.

BobT
07-31-2013, 05:51 PM
I have a Leica 1600B and I love it! It will range pronghorns to 1100 yards in bright light and sitting in camp in the evening I could range a large rock at 1993 yards. I thought long and hard about this purchase and compared it to the Zeiss and the Swarovski, actual side by side comparison in both cases, the Leica was better than both.

Bob

yobuck
07-31-2013, 07:33 PM
most laser rangefinders can be compared to having an employee who shows up when it suits him.
i have a swarovski 1500 which is my second one. this is what most guys will tell you about their laser.
ive ranged to 1800 yds. or i love mine it works great. yes mine will range beyond the max also.
but dont count on that. in fact under about 800 id give it an 80% over 800 to about 1000 60%.
thats not good enough for me. i want it every time or its useless as far as im concerned.
i feel the leica is better than the swarovski due to a narrower beam width. but dont count on those either
under some conditions. we still use non laser ww2 rangefinders for most of our ranging.
if you can see the target you will range it with those. but they arent very portable.
the best of the best among the lasers is the vectronix. the terrapin model will cost close to $2000.

stomp442
07-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah not going to spend that kind of money on a range finder and not going with a leica that much is certain. As of right now I'm leaning toward the Bushnell elite 1600.

Toyoda
07-31-2013, 11:30 PM
How about the Vortex Ranger. Their scopes are pretty impressive, especially for the price.

nocturnalnasty
09-18-2013, 07:53 AM
the best of the best among the lasers is the vectronix. the terrapin model will cost close to $2000.

This is the hard honest truth in my opinion. I have owned several LEFs including Bushnell, Nikon, Leica 1200, and the Terrapin.

My Leica 1200 actually does quite well when compared side by side with my hunting buddies Swarovski. I have been exceptionally pleased with the Leica and I still own and use it. However for true long range work nothing I have used compares to the Terrapin. It is simply in a class of its own. I have ranged black cows at 1974 yards with four shots only varying 2 yards. I have also ranged trees at 2,860 yards. As I said, it's in a class of its own.

If you don't want to invest $2,000. I know youre brother had issues, but i would still recommend you buy the Leica.

John

stomp442
09-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm actually leaning toward the zeiss victory 1300. It seems to have glowing reviews and seems to be very simplistic which I like. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles a lot of these range finders are offering. I just need to know the range I can do the rest.

yobuck
09-18-2013, 08:32 PM
this might sound off the wall to some of you but if i had to give up a pc of equiptment it would be the rangefinder.
stupid as that may sound, for us and how we hunt it wouldnt be very difficult. fact is we might go for days without
getting the rangfinder out. we kill lots of deer without ever using the rangfinder. reason is simple we hunt from stationary locations
and the same ones every year. we have range cards made up for most of our spots. we did initialy use the rangfinder for making up the cards. most of our shots are between 6 and 900 yds. it would be hard for us to find spots under about 500 on the hills we hunt.
for shots beyond 1000 the rangfinder becomes more important for us. i use the swaro lazer on spots we walk to if we dont have a card for that spot. if the vehicle is nearby we use a wild military coincedence rangfinder. it will range everytime regardless of conditions to
10.000 yds. i would certainly reccomend the range card for those hunting the same spots every year. you can also shoot the distances
and make note of your come up data. its quicker than using a rangfinder also and sometimes thats very important.

Williarj87
09-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Have you heard of Newcon rangfinders? I haven't done proper research on them yet; however they have a 2200 model for only about $700 bucks. Their 1500 model is under $400 bucks.

With that being said... you pay for what you get.

yobuck
09-19-2013, 10:36 AM
i think the newcon might be a canadien unit? if so ive known a few guys having them.
one word description. junk. the g7 is apperently a decent unit but also pricey.
and it has more features than necessary.

Williarj87
09-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Yea, they are Canadian based. I figured they would probably match up close to the Bushnell elite.

Tjw86
03-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Newcon is a Canadian manufacturer. They supply units to the Canadian Army. I have never used one, but I am guessing the various units that are available to civilians that are sold for $4,000; $7,000; $23,000; $27,000 etc are probably not junk.

yobuck
03-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Newcon is a Canadian manufacturer. They supply units to the Canadian Army. I have never used one, but I am guessing the various units that are available to civilians that are sold for $4,000; $7,000; $23,000; $27,000 etc are probably not junk.

That would no doubt be correct. At least hopefully so.
Im told that the VECTRONIX terrepin model which sold in the $2000 range has been or soon will be discontinued.
They have much higher dollar models also. Problem with most lazer rangfinders is inconsistancy especially at longer distances.
Your apt to hear my yadda yadda 1200 gave me a 1400 yd reading. If you say thats nice, but will it give the advertised 1200
every time you ask for it, your will get no responce, meaning no it wont.

bajeep93
03-30-2014, 09:59 PM
I have used the leica lrf 1200 and it was great. It would range deer to 945. I am guessing the one you had troubles with was the crf1200 they were junk. The new 1600b I hear is a good unit. I have a buddy that had the swarovski's and sold them to get the bushnell bino rangefinder. This year we had the bushnell 1 mile bino rangefinder and a set of the leica geovids side by side for a week of hunting. The Leica's were great but if it was my money I would get the bushnell's any day. They ranged the same as the leica the whole time. Once we got past 1800 yards the bushnell took over. We got them out to 2245 yards over and over again. We were able to range deer to about 945. We never saw one any farther then that.

yobuck
03-31-2014, 11:01 AM
I also have a swarovski 1500 which is my second one. this one was back to the factory also.
problem is im expecting it to read every time and it just wont. even tripod mounted it wont.
ive used leicas and feel their better than my unit but not entirly trustworthy either.
im hearing good stories about the "newer" bushnells also.
i have a friend in kansas who last fall spent over 3 grand for a set of the new swarovski binnoc/rangefinder.
the binnoc part is excellant but he's unhappy with the ranging.
when choosing a rangefinder be carefull about what you hear. seeing is believing for sure.

D.ID
04-02-2014, 02:29 AM
My bushnell g-force 1300 has hit everything I have pointed it at out to a little over 1000 instantly and will usually go to 1350 if your rested. Small,light and for $269 You can't beet it for general use. For long range the elite 1600 or leica 1600.

colt56
04-07-2014, 09:44 PM
I use two rangefinders one for archer and one for long distance shooting. I use the leica 1600 for long distance shooting its a dang good one. Just point and shoot instant readings.