PDA

View Full Version : Action T&T?

shoalwater
07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
So I am thinking of have an action trued and timed, my question is, is it really worth the money to have it timed? My thinking is just have a local smith true the face of the action and not worry about the rest. Does timing really help with anything besides an easier smoother bolt lift?

Nandy
07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
The way I look at it, it will not help with the accuracy but i am not sure I want my 2k plus rig to have a 10 pounds bolt lift so I can save $60... T&T is about $165, how much is just blue printing the gun?

shoalwater
07-30-2013, 10:24 PM
I don't know how much for just blueprint, but was quoted $215 by stockade for T&T. Does anyone else beside them and SSS do T&T on Savage actions?

Nandy
07-30-2013, 11:00 PM
SSS is about 165. Dont know anyone else but I am sure there might be more.

psharon97
07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
It's up to you. If I'm going to screw a $780 barrel, $1500 scope, $400 stock, $100 trigger, a $165 T&T job doesn't sound too bad anymore. Will it affect the rifle's precision? Probably not, but it will help you stay on target better and will help smooth out the action. For me, it's worth it. And that's all that matters.

shoalwater
07-31-2013, 12:09 AM
psharon97, when you put it that way, it does sound kind of trivial. I'll have a little less in the barrel, a little more in glass and stock, plus another $300 in rings and base. Does SSS use a lift kit in their timing? What all is really involved in timing?

Nandy
07-31-2013, 02:47 AM
They do a lift kit. T and t being discussed to death. I suggest do a search.

stangfish
07-31-2013, 06:47 AM
It's up to you. If I'm going to screw a $780 barrel, $1500 scope, $400 stock, $100 trigger, a $165 T&T job doesn't sound too bad anymore. Will it affect the rifle's precision? Probably not, but it will help you stay on target better and will help smooth out the action. For me, it's worth it. And that's all that matters.

Great point. If I do that I'm going Stiller or possibly Shillen action however.

mattri
08-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I debated all of that when building a couple of Savages over the years. I finally decided to have Stockade T&T an action, mostly because I figure at least I'll know if its worth it once and for all.

As far as I know Stockade and SSS are the two top, if not only shops that perform the timing on Savage actions, about anyone could true it up I'd guess.

I've dealt with bot SSS and Stockade in the past and now I deal exclusively with Stockade.

rattfink
08-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Can anyone state the meaning of the individual terms "Timed" and "Blue printed" in respect to bolt actions?

82boy
08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Does SSS use a lift kit in their timing?

Yes, SSS is the inventor of the device that others have called the "bolt lift kit."

What all is really involved in timing?

There use to be an explanation of this in the FAQs section of this web site, but I can not find it now. In short timing is ensuring that all parts of the action are working in sync. That the firing pin is utilizing its full travel, that the cocking piece is picking up at the right time, of the bolt closure, and that the firing pin is not un-cocking. It is insuring that proper ignition is achieved. It is correcting the geometry of the action making the bolt open and close feel like a high end custom action. If you still don't believe in timing just ask a Benchrest shooter if timing is crucial, and they will tell you it is the difference of a gun that is competitive, and a gun they would throw away. Yes high end custom actions (Such as a Viper, Panda, Bat, DGA etc.) need a smith that understands timing to get them right as well.

J.Baker
08-02-2013, 12:03 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?161-Fred-Moreo-Timging-Truing-Explained