PDA

View Full Version : Coyote pack mousing a field

Bowhunter57
07-29-2013, 11:48 PM
The things you see, when you don't have your rifle.

I was driving about a half mile north of my house, headed to the range with 3 handguns. I look over into a wheat stubble field, about 150 yards out and I see 4 coyotes. They appeared to be "mousing" and combing the area as they went.

In accordance with Murphy's Law, my .25-06 was back at the house. ...and you know they wouldn't be there if I would've turned around to go back and get it.

Bowhunter57

big honkin jeep
07-30-2013, 09:18 AM
It never hurts to try. I spotted a huge buck several years ago about 4 miles from home. He was grazing on a power line right of way where I had permission to hunt in an archery only county. I was returning from my morning hunt on the opening day of gun season with my 116 in a case behind the seat. I went home and grabbed my crossbow and slipped in ahead of the direction he was headed. Less than 30 minutes after I set up at the base of a tree he was on the ground. It took myself and 3 buddies to get that beast in the bed of my truck.

missed
07-30-2013, 12:32 PM
I have that happen with some pigs a few months ago, twice. I didn't even have my CC gun with me either!!

First time I was on my way to work and didn't have time to go back, a pack of thirty or so. needed a belt fed gun for that one.

second time was one lone boar and by the time we took the 5 minutes to run back to the house he was gone.

I need to get my truck gun finished!

5spd
07-31-2013, 10:20 PM
What's worse is when you see them mousing 900 yards out and they plain ignore your calling, stop & look right at you and go back to mousing or flipping over cow patties for bugs when you have a rabbit in pain sound or similar food in the area and they pretty much say the heck w/you over there!

missed
07-31-2013, 10:55 PM
What's worse is when you see them mousing 900 yards out and they plain ignore your calling, stop & look right at you and go back to mousing or flipping over cow patties for bugs when you have a rabbit in pain sound or similar food in the area and they pretty much say the heck w/you over there!

Fast twist 22-250AI 80GR SGK!!! Dead coyote.

pitsnipe
08-08-2013, 02:53 PM
At 900 yards a 180 grn Hornady SST. Read the wind, dial the elevation and send it.
DDD
Dead Dog Down