PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Savage B.Mag Cleaning?

Gunslinger916
07-29-2013, 11:26 PM
I was just wondering how will you guys be Cleaning your B.Mag.
Boresnake or Cleaning rod?

plinkin
07-30-2013, 12:33 AM
I was just wondering how will you guys be Cleaning your B.Mag.
Boresnake or Cleaning rod?

One piece Dewey cleaning rod. I have an inexpensive "Winchester" .17 rod that is decent but just not long enough. I have a 3pc .17 rod that is heading to eBay in the 8th month. I recently bought a Dewey .17 & .20 1 piece rod. Soon I will add a 1pc .22 rod from Dewey. I have a couple other rods from them. A .17 handgun rod and a 12" .22 handgun rod that I bought but never used for my Raging Hornet which I sold earlier this month. I didn't offer the buyer the rod and now I am happy about that because I own a Striker.

Gunslinger916
07-30-2013, 11:01 PM
I usually clean my guns with a Boresnake, but I think it's about time I use a Cleaning rod.

J.Baker
07-31-2013, 12:33 AM
I imagine it would be pretty hard getting the draw string fed through a 17cal bore to pull a boresnake through it. Get yourself a good 1-piece rod and the proper jags. Also, you don't want your patches to be any bigger than 3/4" x 3/4" otherwise you'll have a heck of a time pushing them through.

plinkin
07-31-2013, 12:49 AM
Also, you don't want your patches to be any bigger than 3/4" x 3/4" otherwise you'll have a heck of a time pushing them through.

That is an understatement Mr F.

I have never used a BoreSnake but I was just looking on MidwayUSA and the one .17 they have is a .17 & .204 so it is more likely for a .177 than a .172.

The last time I tried to get a .17/.204 brush into an HMR bore it was like trying to get an elephant to copulate with a mouse.

I do have a .17 Hoppe brush but my favorite brushes are Dewey.

Gunslinger916
07-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I will be in the market for a Cleaning rod for sure.

maximo
07-31-2013, 10:50 AM
I have both, a 17 bore snake and a 17 rod and they both work well in my Savage 17 HMR.

Frank

J.Baker
07-31-2013, 12:10 PM
That is an understatement Mr F.

I have never used a BoreSnake but I was just looking on MidwayUSA and the one .17 they have is a .17 & .204 so it is more likely for a .177 than a .172.

The last time I tried to get a .17/.204 brush into an HMR bore it was like trying to get an elephant to copulate with a mouse.

I do have a .17 Hoppe brush but my favorite brushes are Dewey.

I've never cared for the combo caliber brushes and jags. They always end up being way too tight in the smaller caliber and being a little loose and not doing a very good job in the larger caliber. Stick to dedicated jags and brushes for each caliber and your life will be a lot easier. For jags I just bought one of these Tipton kits which has pretty much everything you'll need up to .45 caliber other than a .20cal. I already had a .20cal jag so it wasn't an issue, but even if I didn't it's as simple as wrapping a larger patch around the .17cal jag to use it on a .20cal. Nice part is that they're all kept in a nice compact and organized storage box so I don't have to root around in my gun cleaning box trying to find the right one.