PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question. Please be kind! Model 111 with side release.

abliss77
07-29-2013, 01:55 PM
I am new to deer hunting. Have been an upland bird hunter and turkey for years. Picked up a model 111 30-06 (tel:111 30-06) with the side release mag, scope, case and sling for $225 with all the papers and 4 boxes of ammo.Price sounded to good to be true and it was on a right now or pass deal. Did I get hurt on this and can anyone give me any info on this rifle. FYI, the rifle looks new and I gave it a real good run through based on my knowledge of guns in general. Condition is excellent. Thanks in advance!

Hoghunter53
07-29-2013, 02:10 PM
This is what one costs new. Looks like you did good.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HUNTERXP

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

abliss77
07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
This is what one costs new. Looks like you did good.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HUNTERXP

Thanks for the link.

rattfink
07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Good? I would say you did great! 4 boxes of decent quality hunting ammo alone can easily be over a $100.
It sounds like a great rifle in a great caliber for deer. Happy hunting!

Hoghunter53
07-29-2013, 02:36 PM
You bet....you gonna love it. And yes that's a great deal!

abliss77
07-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks all. I am counting the days till opening day. I just was thrown off by the side release as I had never seen one until now. Is there anything that I need to now about this rifle, ie, flaws or past issues with the model that I should watch for? Thanks again all for helping replies.

J.Baker
07-29-2013, 04:03 PM
The side button-release detachable box magazines (DBM) are the old staggered-feed style and are totally different than the gun someone linked to above. Only real issue is that replacement stocks are hard to come by as none of the major aftermarket manufacturers offer anything for the side-release DBM's.

abliss77
07-29-2013, 04:53 PM
The side button-release detachable box magazines (DBM) are the old staggered-feed style and are totally different than the gun someone linked to above. Only real issue is that replacement stocks are hard to come by as none of the major aftermarket manufacturers offer anything for the side-release DBM's.

Will this effect the functionality of the rifle at all? Thanks

Nandy
07-29-2013, 08:09 PM
No it dont, it just limits your ability to upgrade your stock so you decide to do so. Still, considering that, you did great. Most people use their savage just like they received it from the factory and they are excellent hunting tools. Come the day you want to sell it and you should have no problem getting your money back.