PDA

View Full Version : 111 Long Range Hunter ... when will it hit the distributors?

Pages : [1] 2

Snakum
02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I had holes in my hunting rifle collection in .308 and larger than 7mm mag so I've been trying to fill them. I finally bought a Marlin XS in .308 and now need a long range bolt gun in 7mm or 300. I've been watching for signs of the Long Range Hunter hitting the shelves and asking local dealers, but no one seems to know anything.

Anyone hazard a guess when I might be able to order a 111LRH in 300 Win Mag? What's the latest word on street prices?

Waceyf
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
My dealer called Savage for me Saturday and they told him should start shipping in 2-3 months he didnt give me a price so dont know bout prices yet.

Uncle Jack
02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I've been looking at them also and wondering why Savage didn't finish the job and add a detachable magazine?

uj

Snakum
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Latest info is that they will ship without fluted barrels. Savage found the nonfluted barrel shot better in testing and are going with round.

And yes ... I was really hoping for a detachable mag. :(

Landkiller
02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
A friend of mine that works at the local gun shop called today and left a message on my answering machine that he had just received a catalog from a distributor that had them in it.
He knew that I was interested in one. They were closed when I got home so I can not say that they are availiable now or not.

memilanuk
02-16-2010, 12:21 AM
I've been looking at them also and wondering why Savage didn't finish the job and add a detachable magazine?

I pestered them about that back in November at the factory... they have that big beautiful 110 BA action with the small ejection port, all set up for a DBM system already... why not use that for the LRH? Apparently whoever they talked to for the 'hunting' end of things was adamantly opposed to a detachable box magazine, due to worries over having it fall out of the gun while hiking, etc. Silly me... I thought that was why you carried a spare, just in case (I've never actually *lost* a magazine out of a long gun... yet).

In all fairness, I recall seeing a poll on magazines over on longrangehunting.com a while back, and surprisingly the majority was in favor of blind magazines on their LRH type guns, for exactly that same reason.

Uncle Jack
02-16-2010, 12:34 AM
".........fall out of the gun while hiking, etc"

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!

Someone should hurry and tell the Marines!

uj

memilanuk
02-16-2010, 12:38 AM
yep... ::)

First thing I saw/heard of the 111 LRH was Layne Simpson's article in Shooting Times. I was somewhat shocked that they had developed this big honkin' 110 version of the Target Action, and weren't using it for anything and everything they could. Then again, it *is* a big, heavy action... which might get a mite heavy after a mile or three...

USAFA71
02-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I want to know when the left-hand version will be available. And in 6.5x55 would be nice too, but I may be asking for too much at one time.

efm77
02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I'd like to see it in stainless steel without the muzzle brake as an option too.

Waceyf
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM
efm77,
I agree on the stainless but not the brake, I'm a wimp and anything I can do to reduce recoil I'm all for it ;D

ICUDIEN
02-16-2010, 09:41 PM
efm77,
I agree on the stainless but not the brake, I'm a wimp and anything I can do to reduce recoil I'm all for it ;D

Amen Brother!

Cover Dog
02-16-2010, 10:21 PM
For anyone that has read the Layne Simpson article he said that the large adjustment knobs for the cheek piece will be replaced (if memory serves me) with small hex head bolts on production guns.

At the S.H.O.T. Show I ask Savage about this and they said they have deceided to stay with the large knobs. Just thought I would let SavageShooters.com members know about this if you were going to buy the gun.

efm77
02-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I know what you mean about the brakes, they do have their place. I just don't prefer them because of the increased noise but if they would make it both ways that way you have the option to get one with or without a brake that would suit us all. Me, I'll take a little more thump to the shoulder instead of more blast to the ears. Almost ruined my left ear one time shooting my Super Redhawk without earplugs in. I only shot it twice and didn't think it would do that much harm but I learned my lesson. I always wear hearing protection when recreational shooting but not when hunting and that's when the brake would get me.

Snakum
02-27-2010, 06:30 AM
I got an email from a distributor's employee who said I would actually be able to get my hands on a 111LRH in 7mm rem mag or 300 WIn Mag by the end of April or first half of May. But they've said that before and changed it a couple of times already. Who knows? It might make more sense at this point to think about a muzzle braked Winchester Coyote or try to locate an NIB 110FCP-K which can still be found even though no longer produced.

About brakes ... I used to be all macho with my 7 mag and a hard butt plate but it becomes annoying after a while. My tolerance for recoil is lessening as I get older. My M70 is kicking my butt after an afternoon of ballistic tip handloads. :(

DCM
02-27-2010, 11:10 PM
I called the factory this week and they hoped that it would be out by late March. We'll see.

Their brake looks good to me because I have read that you can turn it on and off. My Model 70 Win. has a "Boss" and to shut it down, I have to screw on another part. Easy to do but it would be better if we could just rotate the brake and not have to carry an extra part.

3fingervic
02-28-2010, 01:35 AM
I can't wait to fondle one of those bad boys. As far as the break is concerned, I'm all about it. I'm a big guy, but I don't want to absorb any more recoil than I have to. I wish every gun shot like a 22. For the record, 6' 295lbs.. I'm "Big Boned", right? ;D

efm77
02-28-2010, 06:51 AM
The extra noise and concussion from a brake hurts me a lot worse than recoil. Even with earmuffs I still get a headache. I can take the recoil a lot better than the added noise but that's just me.

cornstalker
02-28-2010, 10:53 AM
The extra noise and concussion from a brake hurts me a lot worse than recoil. Even with earmuffs I still get a headache.

Ear plugs under your muffs will usually help with that. (If you are forced to shoot one with a brake again, that is)

I usually shy away from DBM's because I have ran into two occasions where the mag severely limited my seating depth. Glad they went with a blind mag.

Any idea how much weight the LRH will gain with an unfluted barrel?

McKinneyMike
02-28-2010, 11:07 AM
6 to 8oz is my guess.