PDA

View Full Version : Savage guns, Cast Bullets, WD 40

joeb33050
07-29-2013, 06:30 AM
I've read anti WD40/gun cleaning stories for years, didn't try it. Then I bought a can with the swivel long nozzle, put it in the bore guide and gave it a shot. This is absolutely the best cleaner for cast bullet shooting I've ever used. M10 in .308, M12FV in .223, squirt, wait a couple of minutes, patch and maybe all once again, and done. After it's clean I can't raise any black stuff with a nylon brush.
I use cotton patches for .22, paper towel patches for all calibers > .22. Patches on undersized brush > .22, jag for .22. Works with SS rifles also.
Lyman super moly lube.
I shoot only cast bullets, except for tests.
joe b.

pisgah
07-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Now you will likely be assailed by all those wanting to warn you that you are courting disaster and WD-40-induced bore rot!!

Ignore them, and enjoy shooting your rifle. ;-)

big honkin jeep
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
WD 40 is great for displacing moisture. The only problems I've ever had with it were the result of the solvent base evaporating over time leaving behind gummy residue and rock hard varnish. Yes it has it's uses but from first hand experience I caution you against using it on mechanisms before storage.

Not trying to be the harbinger of doom just hate to see folks make mistakes I have made and paid for.