PDA

View Full Version : Using my hornady l-n-l progressive press to reload precision loads?

Leozinho
07-28-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm going to start reloading for precision shooting. I have a hornady lock-n-load AP (progressive press) that I use to reload 9mm. I know the powder drop isn't accurate enough to use for precision loads.

This will be small batches of ammo. I'm thinking of getting a stand alone powder drop and powder trickler and just using it as a single stage press. Anything wrong with that?

I think I need a case trimmer, hand operated primer tool, powder drop, powder trickler, set of dies and shell plate holder. I have calipers and a scale, primer cleaner, tumbler, and of course the press. What else am I missing?

I say "precision shooting" but I dont mean BR levels of precision. Just the 90% solution for standard match quality rounds. Thanks.

JW
07-29-2013, 06:08 AM
What caliber are you planning to reload?
I have reloaded 223 rem on my LNL with good results but have not tried any other caliber
Unless you are using new brass, you kind of have to use it as a single stage for sizing fired brass to allow for measuring and trimming of the brass
The powder drop on my press drops plus or minus one tenth of a grain with varget and h4895, spot on with 231 though with pistol rds
3 tenths of a grain variance with clays powder

I think you have the list of items needed covered with exception of a chamfer tool
You could also prime the cases with the LNL
I hope this helps
Jack

Leozinho
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
6.5 Creedmoor. I left out the chamfer and deburing.

That's an idea. I could deprime/size in one station and prime in the next. Then let the brass cycle around without dropping powder or seating the bullet. That would make at least 2 steps progressive. But like I said, I don't trust the powder drop to be accurate enough. Doesn't matter too much with my 9mm ammo, but I'd think it would cause accuracy to suffer to be off a few tenths with the 6.5 rounds.

Thanks

davemuzz
07-29-2013, 04:00 PM
I use to use my LNL progressive when I loaded my .223 rounds using BL-C2 powder. I would size and de-cap the brass, then measure and trim the ones that needed that done, then use the prepped brass on the LNL Progressive for all of the other steps. The powder measure would work fine when dropping a fine ball powder like BL-C2 and it would rarely be off by one-tenth of a grain.

However, I now load for my Savage using Varget and the powder drop on the Progressive, or even my "old trusty" stand alone powder drop will not get it spot on like my RCBS electronic. So, I'm just back to doing the .223's on my rockchucker.

However, if your rifle shoots a fine ball powder, a progressive press can be your best friend!!

DAve

Jamie
08-03-2013, 02:38 PM
The powder you are using will determine if you can or not. I have loaded a bunch of .25"-.3" groups with my LNL progressive for my .243 SP. I am using Ramshot Hunter powder and it meters like salt but like Dave stated above, Varget won't work nor will any other extruded powder.

Eventually I did buy a Forster Co-Ax press and imeediately kicked myself for not buying it years ago.