PDA

View Full Version : Now i did it!

Silvercrow1
07-28-2013, 07:10 PM
:Cry: And things were going SO well. Decided to paint my stock yesterday..wife and I at Lowes and she actually picked out a cool color- kinda "Coyote" Tan, textured finish. Came out AWESOME. BUT THEN...

Can't keep my grubby little scratchers offa things that aren't broken! Decided to do a "pillar bed" on my action screws. So I found some "nut-certs" at work- with a flange, almost perfect length. Did the rear action bolt (at trigger guard)..Great! Then the "front" bolt. That particular bolt seems short- but never a problem. The stock is a savage OEM tupperware circa 1990s. I went to "inlet" the "pillar" and with the pillar flush to the bottom of the stock the bolt was too short. A little more inletting...CRAP-A-MUNDO! Broke through into the "open space" inside. So I got the stinkin' pillar in, and JB welded a washer to it to form a kinda "dam" and am now layering JB Weld inside and out to try to reinforce the area. The original bolt channel is still there- hanging on by the molded reinforcements. Looks "plumb"..we'll see.

Thanks God I'm a paid member. Saw a used stock for sale I inquired about and Boyd's has a Tacticool that might work- PM'd them too.

DANG! I don't need this- but lesson learned; pay attention and consider ALL possible "Murphy's" (as in Murphey's Law) before drilling, cutting and hacking! I need this like a hole in the head!:mad:

Brian

wbm
07-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Murphy was an optimist!

I have several OEM stocks sitting around that are already factory pillar bedded. What are you shooting?

Silvercrow1
07-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Murphy was an optimist!

I have several OEM stocks sitting around that are already factory pillar bedded. What are you shooting?

It's a 110 Long Action in .223, varmint barrell (I think it's .975 at the muzzle/crown). Flat back- has the flat BAS with a hughe slot for screwdriver rather than the allen head style. Think the manufacture date is circa early 90s. I'll PM you-thanks!

Brian

Mach2
07-28-2013, 09:45 PM
I too thought all the Savage/StervensTupperware stocks were factory pillar bedded. That is the magic Savage put in them.

Silvercrow1
07-28-2013, 09:56 PM
I too thought all the Savage/StervensTupperware stocks were factory pillar bedded. That is the magic Savage put in them. I thought so too! The front LOOKED like it was pillar bedded- but examination revealed it was just the way the plastic was molded. On the inside there was a "ridge" that looked just like a metal insert, albeit black in color. Tested it with an exacto- NOPE- just a molding mark/injection mark.

I SHOULD'VE let it go though, darn it! The rear action bolt hole was obviously not pillared. I had changed out the trigger guard because it was the plastic one and apparently the previous owner "torqued" the bolt- probably properly, but deformed the front of the guard / mount area to the point it was warped and cracked.
I'm trying to fix it- but am nervous, although it's not a high recoiling gun (.223 REM). Among other things- if I skewed whats left of the bolt mount it wont torque or mount the action properly.

Hoping I can find another stock that will fit. I can float the barrell, the tang- even made a nice cheek riser, but it'll be a LOOONG time, if ever, I try a pillar bed again. Like CLINT EASTWOOD said, "A man's got to know his limitations...":(
Brian

wbm
07-28-2013, 10:45 PM
I have a tan and a grey OEM plastic stock for long action center feed. Sent you a PM.

Silvercrow1
07-29-2013, 12:48 AM
I have a tan and a grey OEM plastic stock for long action center feed. Yours is a 110 stagger feed with the magazine attached to the receiver right? Anyway either one of these would work I think. Having said that I'm not sure I would go back with the plastic stock with a barrel as heavy as the one you have. Just my opinion but something to think about. If either of these stocks will work for you just pay the shipping and I'll send one to you. Sent you a PM.

PM'd you back. I'd like the one you mentioned in your PM. And I agree- plastic is not the best for this heavy a barrel / action. Thanks! Brian

Mach2
07-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Does anyone in here know what year Savage started pillar bedding the Tupperware stocks? Savage did a lot of advertising promoting the double pillar a few years ago.
Perhaps the earlier tupp stocks were not double pillared.

J.Baker
07-29-2013, 08:40 AM
I sure wish people around here could learn to follow the few simple rules we have regarding no buying/selling/bartering outside of the classifieds. I understand it's just one member trying to help another member in a case such as this and both involved are paid members, but rules are rules and if we let things like this slide then everybody starts doing it because "well you let them do it in that thread."

Here's a hint....strictly use the PM system for stuff like this rather than posting in the open forum - we (the mods) can't scold ya for something we can't see.

Silvercrow1
07-29-2013, 09:10 AM
I sure wish people around here could learn to follow the few simple rules we have regarding no buying/selling/bartering outside of the classifieds. I understand it's just one member trying to help another member in a case such as this and both involved are paid members, but rules are rules and if we let things like this slide then everybody starts doing it because "well you let them do it in that thread."

Here's a hint....strictly use the PM system for stuff like this rather than posting in the open forum - we (the mods) can't scold ya for something we can't see.

Please accept my apology-I did not intend to do this but got "carried away" and admittedly did the violation. I love this board and certainly do not wish to get myself or anyone else in a jamb. I've never been on ANY board where members and staff were so willing to help one-another in genuine fellowship. Again-apologies....Brian

wbm
07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Same here. I was going to give him one of my stocks wasn't really trying to sell one.

J.Baker
07-29-2013, 04:07 PM
I know guys, it was all innocent and for good reasons - but we gotta to enforce the rules equally around here otherwise it would be chaos.

sharpshooter
07-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Does anyone in here know what year Savage started pillar bedding the Tupperware stocks? Savage did a lot of advertising promoting the double pillar a few years ago.
Perhaps the earlier tupp stocks were not double pillared.

The first steel pillars were used in 1995, but only in the front. It wasn't till '96 that both the front and rear used a pillar.

Silvercrow1
07-30-2013, 09:22 AM
The first steel pillars were used in 1995, but only in the front. It wasn't till '96 that both the front and rear used a pillar.

Thanks for that info. Makes sense because my gun, as far as I can tell from the serial number, was manufactured in the early 90s. Brian