PDA

View Full Version : dual port - how much torque for screws

Stockrex
07-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Greetings!

I have a SSS benchrest stock for my dual port lrpv which came with HS-Precision stock. I have not bedded any of the stocks and plan to change out barreled action till out get a dedicated SSS stock my 204,

I have some silly willy newbie questions, so pls bear with moi:

1. How much should I torque each screw?
2. does it matter if I torque the screws the same amount for either stock?

what the general rational behind the action screw torque, hold it really tight to the stock v-block or pillars? Are we trying to mimic an action glued/epoxied to the stock?

82boy
07-28-2013, 03:53 PM
1. How much should I torque each screw?
SSS has mentioned in the past to torque screws to Hand tight. If you need to torque a screw to make a gun shoot right chances are great you have a bedding problem. As far as torque sequence it don't matter. What ever makes you feel good.

I talked to one of the first custom action builders about glued in actions, and he told me the reason why they started gluing in actions was because the first actions they built in guns, people keep messing around with torqueing screws, and so forth and bent the tangs in the actions, and/or messing up the bedding causing further damage, so they started gluing them in to keep people from messing with the screws and causing further damage. That was the original purpose of a glue in action. Nowadays people glue in actions because it saves on weight, or because of beliefs that this is better because this is the way it was always done. Moral of the story, a glue in action has nothing on a properly bedded action with screws, whether it has excursions or pillars. In many ways a properly bedded action that is screwed is better, one it is easier to take apart, and second you don't have to worry about the action breaking loose in the middle of a match somewhere far away, rendering your expensive weekend a travesty.

Mach2
07-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Let the Loctite do the heavy work. Screws and bolts on a rifle are not like headbolts on a engine.
If you cant remove a loctited screw then touch a solder gun to the screw and soften the loctit. You don't use much muscle if any on guns/

82boy
07-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Loctite doesn't belong on a rifle anywhere. Loctite can reek havoc on a rifle, it can wick up into parts such as triggers, and other parts leaving the useless.

Mach2
07-29-2013, 02:45 AM
Loctite doesn't belong on a rifle anywhere. Loctite can reek havoc on a rifle, it can wick up into parts such as triggers, and other parts leaving the useless.

Maybe you are using a tad too much? LOL!

Stockrex
07-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Loctite bottles should have a brush or something, I hate the eye dropper bottles types,

ok, finger tight, that is around 20 to 30 inch lb for me.

When I took off the factory stocks off my lrpvs, they did not all have the same torque, one gun was easy to remove while the 2 others were bit tough.

82boy
07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Maybe you are using a tad too much? LOL!

No, any is too much,