PDA

View Full Version : Bolts interchangeable?

Wyomingwindage
07-27-2013, 11:23 PM
I have a model 12 with accutrigger, 204R. Want to rebarrel to 6br or such. Cost of bolt head around $60. Would I be able to use the bolt from a new rifle? One in a million, or doable? If I bought a bolt from elsewhere, do they require the reciever to fit it properly? Thanks. Ron.

snowgetter1
07-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Should be good to go. Just have to change out bolt faces and headspace your barrel changes. The only time I ran into a problem was going from a standard face, 308 type, to a magnum face. The magnum is longer and I had to change out the firing pin also. I did not enjoy doing that and sold the non magnum barrel.

shoots100
07-28-2013, 06:08 AM
You need to get the appropriate Bolt face that fits to the Bolt+Action. IE: Short, or Long action.

Wyomingwindage
07-28-2013, 08:34 AM
I wasn't clear on what I wanted to do. Rather than buy a new bolt face could I buy a new savage rifle, in a .473 head size, and use that bolt in my 204R, with a new barrel, like a 6 br? That would give me an excuse to have two savage rifles, in 3 different calibers. Would the bolt from a new rifle fit my 204R? Ron.

snowgetter1
07-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I swap whole bolts from gun to gun. Just have to headspace each barrel to the specific bolt.

Wyomingwindage
07-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks. I may sneak into local sporting good store and try out some bolts in my rifle. I'm sure they would appreciate that, esp in the new ones. Just wondering if the lugs, etc. would fit. Lots of small tolerences there. Ron.

J.Baker
07-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok, let me see if I've got this right...

You have a rifle in .204 Ruger....
You want to convert it to 6mm BR or something similar...
You cringe at the thought of having to spend up to $60 for a bolt head...
But spending $400 plus for a complete rifle just to get a bolt assembly with the right bolt head isn't an issue?

Wyomingwindage
07-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Just another option. If I had another savage, I would try it, but I don't. Mainly just wondering if the bolts will exchange. Would probably get the new bolt face even if they did, but had a question. Not sure I have gotten the answer, although Snowgetter does it with his. Ron.