PDA

View Full Version : Striker safety issue?

fly-by
07-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi all,

New to the forum as I just picked up my fist Savage. It's a 516 Striker in .243. Last night I noticed something that caused some concern and I was hoping to get some opinions or a suggested solution. Unloaded - I cycled the bolt, put it on safe, and squeezed the trigger. When I took it off safe, it fired without any contact with the trigger. I was able to duplicate this repeatedly. A light touch on the trigger wouldn't do it, but it happened every time with a 6-8lb pull.
1) Is this normal? 2) If not, can someone suggest a smith who knows these guns well? 3) While he's in there I might as well do something about that trigger... Is there an aftermarket that can be installed without altering the layout (rear vs mid grip) or is it easier to just have a trigger job done on the stock one? Thanks

snowgetter1
07-27-2013, 01:28 AM
The trigger has probably been adjusted. If you do some searching on here for adjusting triggers it may help you. I am no expert, but had the same thing on one of my Strikers that I adjusted. I just can't remember which screw I turned to fix it.
A rifle basics standard trigger will work. Just cut off the lower part that you would normally use for a rifle.
If all else fails, check out specialty pistols forum. http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/3826077864
There are several posts about Striker triggers with great pictures.

fly-by
07-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.

Trapper
08-27-2013, 09:34 PM
This may help a bit, see the bold type:
To adjust trigger, I start at the front and adjust take-up. Next I adjust the spring tension and lighten it until the trigger pops, than add in about 1 turn. Next to the sear adjustment screw under the sear. Adjust in until trigger breaks, now out 1 full turn.

If you have a 1st gen, the rear roller needs to move freely, no corrosion. You may have to lube it and turn it unitl it rolls freely and make sure its nice and shiny on the outside.

Finally, cock it and bounce on bench on rear one time. If it pops, go and add a little spring tension.

A trigger job can be done, it involves polishing the sear face and the lever parrallel, and shiny.

Reassemble and don't torque screws too tightly, 30 inch pounds is plenty. Once snug, stop and try to cock it. If it binds, loosen 1/4 turn.

Apply a little fingernail polish to all set screws to secure once happy.

Sawfish
09-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I had this problem with a .300 WSM Striker, and finally traced it to the magazine box. The trigger mechanism is mounted to the magazine box, which is staked to the action via slots in the bottom of the receiver. If the action box is loose, or not straight on the action, it will need to be re-staked, or all of your trigger adjustment will be for naught. Heavy kicking calibers will eventually cause the magazine box to work loose.

Another little problem is the sear release point on the trigger. This is nothing more than a hardened headless screw. Look at it with a magnifying glass to determine if any scratches, or imperfections are present, remove them with a jeweler's file and lightly polish the contact surface. Makes a world of difference. NOTE: you may need to reharden the screw if filing is involved.