PDA

View Full Version : model 12 fcv 22-250 touble

buggybuilder
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
I've had some real trouble trying to get my 12 fcv to group anything near 1" at 100 yds.
I've tried everyones loading receipes and checked them with all the loading manuals to be safe.
I've bought so many different types of powder, primers and bullets I think I could stock a small sport shop.
Please don't reply telling me to send the barrel in, I just want this problem fixed so I can trade it.
This morning I loaded a few on the upper side of the load scale--and not a maximum load. After firing I cycled the bolt and extracted the empty brass. The primer fell out of the case. Now when I put a round in the chamber,WITHOUT shooting and want to extract it, the bolt handle will lift but I cannot pull it back to remove the shell.
Any ideas as to what is broke? I am really sick of this rifle!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for any help.

Bennybone
07-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Okay, so can you provide some real details about the ammunition you have tried and your process for reloading and shooting at the range?

With what you have provided there isn't anything I can suggest other than be sure to tell the person getting the gun in the trade about it's history.

BB

buggybuilder
07-25-2013, 05:03 PM
WW cases
WW LR primers
38.7 gr. IMR4350
55 gr. Hornady bullet
100 yds

..............now, what does that have to do with the question that I asked?

Bennybone
07-25-2013, 05:44 PM
WW cases
WW LR primers
38.7 gr. IMR4350
55 gr. Hornady bullet
100 yds

..............now, what does that have to do with the question that I asked?

Hey ! Ease off the RedBull Man.

Your loading methods would have a lot to do with accuracy and function of the firearm.

I would think the more data that you share about the ammo, dies, quantitative outcome of all loads developed, and specifically the load you fired just before the moment of a locked up chamber would be helpful to tracing solutions. Also factors at this point are scope bases and optics, have you tried various setups of those?

But if you feel like complaining in general and being short about things is the route to success then more power to ya.

BB

Last I will say is what factory ammunition did you shoot and what were the groups with it.

short round
07-25-2013, 05:59 PM
First thing is to reduce powder, your near max. If bolt wont open on unfired round, the bullet is jammed into lands. Primer falling out of case is high pressure. Hi pressure can also damage ejector & extractor. As for accuracy check scope bases & rings, is barrel free floated or touching stock, action screws snug, condition of scope.

buggybuilder
07-25-2013, 09:04 PM
BB
Sorry, I did not want to be short and snotty to you. I am just so fed up with this.
FYI: I FL resize (RCBS dies), trim case to length, chamfer neck, clean primer pockets.
I handscale all loads on a Redding bar scale and seat all bullets just short of the lands.
As far as optics, Leupold rings and mounts with a Baush & Lomb #4200 "elete" 6x24 with adj. objective.
There's nothing wrong with scope setup, I have 3 more just like this on other rifles.....switched them around with no difference.
I know my load data is close to MAX. but according to Speer, Sierra, Lyman and Hodgdon manuals I am not over. I do feel and it proven that this load is too hot.
Monkeyed around with rifle and cases today and everything now seems to operate okay. Thankfully!!
I guess if I cannot get this thing to shoot jacketed bullets, I'll try lead cast in it. If she don't group then, IT'S GONE!!!!
Again, sorry if I was short with you.
buggybuilder

Nandy
07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Tang, check the tang to be free floated.
The reason a gun will not "shoot" could be many or maybe just one small detail your are missing. If you really want to fix this rifle be prepared to spend some time testing and posting back and forth or just trade it as you said you planned and get it over with.