PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: B.Mag 96901 17WSM Registry

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

plinkin
11-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi, I haven't heard the rumor about the Douglas bbl, but I hope it's true! The last Magazine article about the rifle, said the bbl got super hot. That's of no real concern to me, since we have no small, plentiful varmints here in Florida. I always take my time shooting, anyway.

I did replace the Bolt handle and it's much better. One of my past postings explained the stock 'flex'. It's not really the fore end. I had the gun in my vise and was looking at ways to beef up the stock. (I've done this to several Axis rifles and it's easy to do)...
Well, the flex occurs where the mag well area is. There ain't no way to overcome it, except for a new stock. It's just WAY TOO THIN
'amidships', as we used to say in the Navy.
Since there is now an aftermarket stock for the Axis, I can only hope, that company makes one for the B Mag.
Wait... I waited what seems forever to get this rifle. It 'needed' a new bolt, the bbl is too thin and the stock sucks. What!!!
All my other Savages rifles are excellent.
I still say that Savage should have used the Model 93R17 as the basis for this new round. The ctg itself is excellent, but the rifle is a disappointment ... at least to me.
I say this, as a VERY happy owner of a 93R17 TR......

ron

Ron,

time and time again I have said that Savage was looking to build a new rim fire that was not the Lakefield rifle. I personally believe that they could have build this rifle on a modified 93 rifle. They has built a single shot 22 Hornet in the model 93 as well as the model 40 which had a rim fire action. The model 25 is a hybrid rim fire action. The main purpose for the B.Mag is to redesign the rim fire line, period.
The WSM round gave them reasons to peruse that.

Oh and to everyone else. This registry that I started, although not my forum is my thread, was not meant for a crying section. If you want to cry about the gun start your own thread.

gsperaz
11-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Sort your ammo into weight groups. I know this is a PITA but try it. If the 1 3 shot group all weighed the same that group would be a mystery, if 2 were heavy & 1 light that could explain a lot.

I have NEVER done barrel break ins and I have some very accurate rifles.

I come under fire about ammo weighing which is fine but why blame ONLY Savage, it's NOT Savage's ammo.

Agreed, as mentioned in the post , ammo was weighed. I also sorted by weight, grouping same weight ammo together.
This was the first time for a break in and I too have several accurate savage rifles. Just thought I would give it a try....couldn't hurt right.
I think with more rounds thru the barrel accuracy will improve.

plinkin
11-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Honestly, I thought about doing the same thing. Do you have a Chrony?

gsperaz
11-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Honestly, I thought about doing the same thing. Do you have a Chrony?

No chrony , on my list of things to get in the future. I did receive 2 boxes of 25gr ammo the other day and checked the weight. To my surprise there was only a .6 grain variance in weight for a box of 50. Older ammo I weighed had as much as a 3 grain difference for a box of 50. Looks like manufacturers are getting better with the guns and the ammo.

12-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Purchased my B Mag in November, serial J174887. Gun is a shooter but has been back to Savage twice (is there right now for the second time) for a barrel to stock misalignment problem Have used the 20 grain version of the ammo and just recently found some 25 grain so bought 3 boxes, now if I only had the gun so I could try it out. I have not had any difficulty finding ammo in CT if you can believe that.

Oregonboy
12-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Bought my Bmag on Dec. 6, 2013. 279.00 + 10.00 for the state. Ser# J2404XX. No bullets yet, but some on the way. Stock is tighter on left than right, but not touching. Gun seemed to be clean. Hate the square hole on the top of the butt. I can't believe they couldn't figure out to put that on the bottom or better yet. not be there at all. Still, I like the light weight concept and maybe with some after market stuff it'll come around. Hope it shoots. Good luck to the rest of ya. Keep bangin on Savage. The rest of my Savages are great.

n4ue
12-22-2013, 11:05 AM
0153. Not the be a 'downer', but if you sent the gun back for JUST the stock problem, don't be surprised if it comes back the same way or maybe with a "NTF" note.
Only cure in an aftermarket stock.....

ron

rsh4364
12-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Unwrapped my new B-Mag tonight# J193936,stock tight on left loose on right,I can overlook this if it shoots good.Also 2 boxes 20 grainers.She couldn't find any more,anywhere.Next is rings and scope,then if its a shooter a Glades Armory bolt handle and beggin Boyds to make a decent stock for it.

n4ue
12-26-2013, 11:27 AM
rsg, glad you got one. Ammo is kinda hard to find, but it will (???) get better. I put the GA bolt handle on mine. I hope you read my previous post where I had to 'bend' mine forward. Since it's longer, it reduces the amount of room for your hand (rh) when going for the trigger. Maybe I just have big hands.
BTW, I put a Redfield Revenge 6-18 scope on mine and it just cleared either handle and is a great match for the rifle.
Don't worry about the stock / bbl fit. Nothing short of a Boyd's stock is gonna fix it.
I have tried every combination of shims, tubing etc. Didn't help the groups, just moved the POI....

Enjoy!

ron

rsh4364
12-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks n4ue,Has anyone else noticed how loud magazine rattles? I really like the bushnell trophy 6-18x50 scope,not sure what height rings to use tho. using 1 piece EGW mount 0 MOA.

n4ue
12-27-2013, 09:23 PM
rsh, I looked at the EGW B Mag mount. I have several EGWs on my other Savage rifles and really like them. The only 'negative' (IMHO, ha ha) is the increased height. I like the Weaver one piece mounts. They are as low as the 2 piece mounts. I like to get my scopes as close to the bbl as possible. I have a large # of spare scopes, none of high value, that each has their own rings. Using the Weaver mounts, lets me swap scopes between rifles without changing zeros...... Kind of a sickness, I guess.
BTW, the ONLY scope I have purchased in the last few years that I really disliked, but still own, is the Weaver Kaspa. However, for $125, what can you expect?
I also bought a new Nikon Monarch based on all the 'great' reviews. After a range session with my shooting buddies, it went back the next day. Nothing 'wrong', but for $450, it wasn't any better than a $70 Center Point (Wal Mart) scope of the same magnification. This was the consensus of 4 experienced shooters, not just me......

ron