PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: B.Mag 96901 17WSM Registry

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

rona
11-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Been a windy day today. My two sons and grandson were home to bow hunt deer and do a little pheasant hunting this weekend. One nice small buck (good eating size wandered a little to close) and 3 roosters so they were happy. I was going to do some target shooting but way to windy.
Found out Sheels Sporting Goods Store didn't have B-Mag shells on Saturday. So put the Mueller Eraticator scope and bi pod on another Savage I have and am waiting for some still weather again.
Oldest son bought a scope and rings for his new Savage 12 gauge bolt action slug gun at Sheels and will have to get something to replace the two little rails that the rings mount on as the scope barrel is to short to fit. Lesson to be learned buy everything at the same place and save time.

n4ue
11-03-2013, 08:35 PM
rona, good weekend! Sounds like you'll have some good eatin'. I don't hunt very much anymore, but we do have a good deer population (kinda) on the farm. I say kinda, because an ex-employee and his wife decimated the herd. They shot EVERYTHING they saw. It's been 2 years and the heard is improving, but bucks are scarce. We have a lot of coyotes, which doesn't help. OK on the scope base. I use nothing but one-piece Weaver 'style' bases on all my rifles now.

Here in Fl the deer are small compared to Maine and New Hampshire deer. That spoiled me I guess.

Do you do any Jerky? I just got a new dehydrator and spent the day, drying 'Ghost' peppers. Those are rough!

ronb

rona
11-03-2013, 09:11 PM
I have had a dehydrater for a few years now. Dried apple chunks at first then did some jerky for a couple years then this fall I dried a bunch of peppers. Forget what they were called but my son put a couple in a heavy bean soup last weekend and I thought it was a piece of green bean, NOPE and I will be more carefull next time. LOL
I got a cold and was coughing and sneezing so it would have been foolish for me to be hunting or in a tree Hopefully I can go out in a couple of days. My shoulder is no good any more so I got a crossbow and was going to try that. It is plenty accurate and now that most of the crops are out I may set up a groung blind. Trouble is if I get one I may need help dragging it out of the brush and woods.
We got coyotes and the deer population is down a lot around here. The seasons total out to 3 months which is way to long.
We raise corn and soybeans up here and after the crops are out the deer migrate towards some of our land which is on both sides of a river. Trees, brush, etc Plenty thick to hunt. I used to hunt every year since I was 13 but switched from slugs to bow and arrow for a while in the 70s then switched to black powder for a few years. Then one year I noticed I still had venison in the freezer from the previous year so quit hunting for a few years. I don't need the meat but it is a challenge and a doable one for me. I bought a Barnett Vengence crossbow from a company that is based in Tarpon, Fl.
Sounds like we are close to the same age. Retired? I am and some days I don't feel like it. Got to keep busy or I spend to much on toys. lol

thomae
11-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Please keep things on topic.

If you just wish to chit chat, please do that via PM or in the off topic section.
For example, your favorite jerky recipes can go in the off topic section as well.
Specific game recipes can go in the appropriate (small game, medium sized game, big game) hunting section.

It's not that I am antisocial, but the forum works better/smoother when threads stay on topic.

If you want to change the subject, fine, but please don't hijack the existing thread, but rather I would ask you to start a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks for your help.

:focus:

rona
11-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Sorry about that. Speaking of the 17Bmag No shells and now rifle has been sent back to the company for a malfunction. Talking about something else took the sour taste out of my mouth.

M109R
11-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I am now a owner of a 17Bmag after we see how it shoots, will determine proud or remorse. This is the cheapest made rimfire I have ever owned, Savage could of not made the stock any cheeper, or scrimped any more on the gun. If the gun shoots great some of these things can be over looked! Sure is not the qualiy of my CZ or my Kimber 22, great round hope Savage, Browning, CZ or someone makes a quality 17WSM but sorry the bmag is not it.

gsperaz
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Good Luck, hope yours is a good one...............

gsperaz
11-06-2013, 03:58 PM
After contacting Savage yesterday, I will be receiving a new replacement B-mag. The email I rec'd said the gun I sent back was not repairable.
Not sure which issue was the cause for replacement but I am glad to see Savage standing behind the product.
CS also said it could ship out as early as next week, guessing I will see it just before turkey day.
I hope this one functions and shoots well !

n4ue
11-06-2013, 04:04 PM
gs, WOW! Something must have been horribly wrong. Maybe it had a .22 bbl on it. ha ha
I'm also glad to see that the CS is this good. I was concerned when I heard the company was sold and was cutting back new product development....
Please keep us posted...

ron

gsperaz
11-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey Ron,I guess its just not cost effective to invest time and labor into such a low cost firearm. If you think about the cost of a gunsmith per/hr and the burden rate on machinery, I'd say scrap if it cannot be fixed in under an hour.
Sure would like to know what they found out with the accuracy issue ? Or maybe it never got that far since it had an extraction issue which involved the bolt.

n4ue
11-06-2013, 09:00 PM
gs, I DO understand, being a PE with IBM where the labor rate was off the chart. I sure wish the mfg would at least say what was wrong when you send something back......
I am fortunate (??) in that I purchased the tools necessary to have a machine shop, back when I had a great job/income. I still have all kinds of tooling to build 9" Ford rear ends, tubing benders to build roll cages, etc. I'll probably never use any of it, so I guess I need to sell this stuff.
Not only that, I have several engines, 5 TH-400 transmissions, and more than a few 9" rear ends.....sigh...

ron

gsperaz
11-06-2013, 09:52 PM
WOW ! I wish I had some of your toys Ron...lol.
Manufacturers usually never disclose design flaws or short comings to the public as you well know. Especially now with facebook, twitter forums and the rest of cyber-world. I was a Tech service manager for a large manufacturing firm, now de-funked because of poor design and in-house testing.
Like you though, I would like to know what was the main issue. Mine is one of several I have read about which had to be replaced. I'll let you know how this one works out.

plinkin
11-27-2013, 05:40 PM
My 2nd B.Mag purchased new at Dick's Sporting Goods (again) for $229. J177831 and it has the new revised ejector :-)

shovelheadave
11-28-2013, 05:45 AM
Which Dick's is selling B-Mags for $229 ??

gsperaz
11-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Update to post #68.
I received my replacement Bmag rifle yesterday. This one seems to be much better as far as assembly fit and functionality.
* Stock is straight and aligned with the barrel.
* Barrel is free floating all the way to the receiver.
* While patch cleaning the bore, no tight spots detected.
* Chambers, extracts and ejects all ammo.
* Savage gunsmith's provided a qualification check sheet, no target provided just a notations that the rifle passed inspection and targeting.

It took almost 5 weeks to receive my replacement, I can only hope this one shoots good without issue. I'm not expecting target rifle performance but 1"groups @ 100yds would be more then acceptable. (original bmag shot 3" groups at 50 yds) And with savage's 100yd evaluation check sheet marked "pass" in hand, I hope its a shooter !
Savage qualified the new Bmag with the 25gr ammo but I hope it shoots the 20gr stuff too since I have a lot more of it.
I test fire tomorrow weather permitting and report back.
Happy Thanksgiving too all !

plinkin
11-28-2013, 10:39 AM
EGW has a 1pc mount for it according to their Ad. Just incase youre looking for one

I am holding out for the DIP base. I have used DIP & EGW, both are quality pieces but I prefer DIP's products.

plinkin
11-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Which Dick's is selling B-Mags for $229 ??

Well they are/were on sale for $299 & I had $70 is reward checks.

gsperaz
11-29-2013, 09:00 PM
update to post #75
Out to my backyard range today (bench with 50 & 100 yd targets ) with the new Bmag. First up was the 25gr ammo for a quick sight in. I did do something different this time, opting for a short barrel break in procedure.
I fired 5 rounds , running a patch or 2 down the bore between each shot. Then once after another 5 shots then again after 10 more rounds.
Now for the accuracy report.
Once zeroed in at 50 yds with the 25's I began shooting 3 shot groups.
After 12 shots, I achieved 1.5" groups. Nothing impressive, but much better then the original rifle.
Allowing the barrel to cool between groups, I continued to shoot. The next 2 shots were touching....ok I'm getting a bit smile on my face.....then the 3rd shot..... 1'' high.....crap....ok maybe that was me giving the Bmag the benefit of doubt.
So, I walk down to inspect and set up a new target. I think to myself ok, everything is functioning as it should relax and see if it gets any better.
3 more shots and again 1 round is 1'' high with the other 2 touching.
Finally the 3 set produces 3 rounds within 1", now we're getting somewhere. One last swab of the barrel just to see if it helps, reset the targets and a another set of three shots.....2 touching and one 1/4'' high !
Satisfied at this point at 50 yds I move to the 100yd target. Not to bore everyone but 1.6" is the best I could muster after a dozen shots in groups of 3.
I went with 3 shot groups to keep the barrel cool, 5 rds really seemed to get the barrel warm.
The 20grain ammo performed as good at 50yd after adjusting for POI. Out at 100yd the 20's were 2'' groups at best.
I will say the wind did pick up considerably by this time so I called it quits for today. Note- the ammo I shot today was weighed.
Over all I was happy with my replacement gun, but disappointed with the 100yd performance. I put 80 rds thru the gun today and plan to put at least that many or more thru it tomorrow.

rona
11-29-2013, 09:34 PM
It looks like you gained accuracy the more you shot it. I am betting another 100 rounds and you will have the 100 yard shots mastered.
Speaking of myself after 50 rounds my concentration just isn't as consistent and its hard for me to maintain the same accuracy. Probably old age telling me something. lol

plinkin
11-29-2013, 09:49 PM
update to post #75
Out to my backyard range today (bench with 50 & 100 yd targets ) with the new Bmag. First up was the 25gr ammo for a quick sight in. I did do something different this time, opting for a short barrel break in procedure.
I fired 5 rounds , running a patch or 2 down the bore between each shot. Then once after another 5 shots then again after 10 more rounds.
Now for the accuracy report.
Once zeroed in at 50 yds with the 25's I began shooting 3 shot groups.
After 12 shots, I achieved 1.5" groups. Nothing impressive, but much better then the original rifle.
Allowing the barrel to cool between groups, I continued to shoot. The next 2 shots were touching....ok I'm getting a bit smile on my face.....then the 3rd shot..... 1'' high.....crap....ok maybe that was me giving the Bmag the benefit of doubt.
So, I walk down to inspect and set up a new target. I think to myself ok, everything is functioning as it should relax and see if it gets any better.
3 more shots and again 1 round is 1'' high with the other 2 touching.
Finally the 3 set produces 3 rounds within 1", now we're getting somewhere. One last swab of the barrel just to see if it helps, reset the targets and a another set of three shots.....2 touching and one 1/4'' high !
Satisfied at this point at 50 yds I move to the 100yd target. Not to bore everyone but 1.6" is the best I could muster after a dozen shots in groups of 3.
I went with 3 shot groups to keep the barrel cool, 5 rds really seemed to get the barrel warm.
The 20grain ammo performed as good at 50yd after adjusting for POI. Out at 100yd the 20's were 2'' groups at best.
I will say the wind did pick up considerably by this time so I called it quits for today. Note- the ammo I shot today was weighed.
Over all I was happy with my replacement gun, but disappointed with the 100yd performance. I put 80 rds thru the gun today and plan to put at least that many or more thru it tomorrow.

Sort your ammo into weight groups. I know this is a PITA but try it. If the 1 3 shot group all weighed the same that group would be a mystery, if 2 were heavy & 1 light that could explain a lot.

I have NEVER done barrel break ins and I have some very accurate rifles.

I come under fire about ammo weighing which is fine but why blame ONLY Savage, it's NOT Savage's ammo.