PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: B.Mag 96901 17WSM Registry

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

pdog06
10-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I spoke with Bob at DIP Inc and he said they should have a 1 piece scope rail very soon.

EGW has a 1pc mount for it according to their Ad. Just incase youre looking for one

gsperaz
10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Received may B-mag yesterday, going back to the factory tomorrow for bolt extractor issues. Will have them check the barrel for accuracy issues as well. A long wait only to have to wait some more. Very disappointed with this savage product and I own several savage rifles.

n4ue
10-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Sorry, gs, but I feel your pain. I own a lot of Savage rifles, including 3 Model 12s which are great. The WSM .17 has been a severe disappointment from the day I took it out of the box. Savage could have done a redesign of other rimfire models before coming out with this model.
Bbl is way too thin,the stock is NFG and the bolt handle is a joke. The magazine reviews (which I don't usually give a 'flip' about) have been pretty poor as well......

ron

Seph817
10-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I got a B-Mag J034084 at Walmart in Powdersville, SC for $297 on 10/15. I got 15 boxes of 20gr at Academy at $15.99 a piece.

gsperaz
10-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Well how does it shoot seph817 ?

Seph817
10-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Well, I got a junky scope from Walmart til I could get the good one and it didn't fit. So, I shot without a scope from about 20 yd. It was great! I shot some bottles full of water and it tore right through them, almost split them in half! I also got behind a board and shot a steel plate from probably 30 yd. It was about 1/8 in. It went clean through that, too! I just got a Redfield Revenge 3-9x42. I haven't got to sight it in yet. I can't wait! The stock does suck though... No regrets however (:

onegreatshot
10-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Well I purchased mine on July 7th in Billings MT. at the Big Bear store. Got a deal at $299.00 no tax, (serial # J009830). Purchased a 4x16 scope with it at $200.00. No ammo to be found. Contacted Savage and ordered 2 extra mags. at a price of $45.00 for both. I Took it home to Nevada and went to the range after finding ammo at BPS at a good price (compared to the internet prices by the gougers). The weather was in the high 90's and at 100 yards. it was all over the place after a few shots. barrel was quite hot. I mean 5 to 6 in groups. Was very disappointed with the performance. In late Sept. went back to Montana to shoot P/D's and again took it to the range. Now the weather is 30+ degrees and no wind. Well the outcome was a lot different was shooting groups the size of a quarter after sight in at a 100 yards. So I feel a little better, but not yet comfortable with the high temps in the deserts of Nv. and Az. Can anyone respond as to the rumor that Douglas barrels will be producing a varmint barrel for the gun>?????

gsperaz
10-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Well I purchased mine on July 7th in Billings MT. at the Big Bear store. Got a deal at $299.00 no tax, (serial # J009830). Purchased a 4x16 scope with it at $200.00. No ammo to be found. Contacted Savage and ordered 2 extra mags. at a price of $45.00 for both. I Took it home to Nevada and went to the range after finding ammo at BPS at a good price (compared to the internet prices by the gougers). The weather was in the high 90's and at 100 yards. it was all over the place after a few shots. barrel was quite hot. I mean 5 to 6 in groups. Was very disappointed with the performance. In late Sept. went back to Montana to shoot P/D's and again took it to the range. Now the weather is 30+ degrees and no wind. Well the outcome was a lot different was shooting groups the size of a quarter after sight in at a 100 yards. So I feel a little better, but not yet comfortable with the high temps in the deserts of Nv. and Az. Can anyone respond as to the rumor that Douglas barrels will be producing a varmint barrel for the gun>?????

Interesting, I read on another form that a shooter complained about his Bmag stock becoming very flimsy during a shooting session in 90+ degree temps. The stock is weak to say the least, but having it change the gun accuracy due to outside temperature is just a poor design.
When I receive mine back from the factory I hope the accuracy issues will be solved. If not I will be addressing the stock design myself.

n4ue
10-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi, I haven't heard the rumor about the Douglas bbl, but I hope it's true! The last Magazine article about the rifle, said the bbl got super hot. That's of no real concern to me, since we have no small, plentiful varmints here in Florida. I always take my time shooting, anyway.

I did replace the Bolt handle and it's much better. One of my past postings explained the stock 'flex'. It's not really the fore end. I had the gun in my vise and was looking at ways to beef up the stock. (I've done this to several Axis rifles and it's easy to do)...
Well, the flex occurs where the mag well area is. There ain't no way to overcome it, except for a new stock. It's just WAY TOO THIN
'amidships', as we used to say in the Navy.
Since there is now an aftermarket stock for the Axis, I can only hope, that company makes one for the B Mag.
Wait... I waited what seems forever to get this rifle. It 'needed' a new bolt, the bbl is too thin and the stock sucks. What!!!
All my other Savages rifles are excellent.
I still say that Savage should have used the Model 93R17 as the basis for this new round. The ctg itself is excellent, but the rifle is a disappointment ... at least to me.
I say this, as a VERY happy owner of a 93R17 TR......

ron

onegreatshot
10-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Guys that's why I bought the Super Mag in the first place I have both a 93 in22 mag with a heavy S/S barrel along with a Mark III in 22 LR in a heavy barrel and both are outstanding. I must say the extras I bought ie: scope and mags. were a necessity for varmint shooting in some larger P/D towns on southern Mt. Like others the ammo is in very short supply and when I find it I buy as much as I can afford. Here in the southwestern states it is a hard thing to find and when you do it is restricted to only a few boxes per day. While in Mt. I found 10 boxes for the price of $15.99 and grabbed them all. I hope one of the large stock MFG people come out with a better stock or Savage see their mistack and offers a better one to gun owner at a very low price. Only wishful thinking at best.

rona
10-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I ordered mine in April and got it in August. Finally gave up on the dealer and bought two boxes of ammo on E-Bay for highway robbery price but wanted to see how it worked. Good thing as it consistantly failed to eject shells after firing. Took it back to the dealer who sent it back to Savage to be repaired. I shot less then a box of shells through it and can say it is accurate but the whole experience has been frustrating. I had wanted to use it dog hunting and that didn't happen.

n4ue
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
rona, yep same here, I bought one box of 20 gr on Gun Broker for way more than I should have. I had the ammo for months before I got the rifle. Until this week, I have found lots of 25 gr, but no 20 gr. Finally found the 20 gr also. NOW, it appears that the 25 gr are best!
On and on, it goes....

ron

rona
10-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Looks as though I should have invested the 350.00 into reload equipment for center fire instead. Next time I will look at the big picture.

n4ue
10-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Rona, don't give up. Maybe someone will get it squared away.
BTW, I actually enjoy reloading as much as shooting.
Must be sumtin' wrong with me. The availability of powder/etc is starting to get better (since it couldn't have been any worse!)

ron

rona
10-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Reloading would solve my issues with no ammo, a form of entertainment for winter months, and would solve the frustrations of no ammo in Minn. I read both here and other websites that people do find ammo but evidently they have "connections" that I don't. The odd thing is some stores around here got one Bmag to sell and 40 boxes of ammo then the next one got ten rifles and no ammo. Just doesn't make sense. I am hoping there will be a good supply in about a year. There is all kinds of HMR around at a reasonable price so maybe in time things will improve.
If nothing else this experience has made me appreciate how smooth the rest of my life has gone. lol

n4ue
10-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Rona, I guess 'smooth' is a relative term. ha ha
On the .17 WSM ammo. Some folks are finding both the rifles and ammo at their local Wally World. I had the Dept Mgr scan my WSM ammo box and no number exists in their system. Evidently, different stores get different items.
Our local WM 'Superstore', actually makes it painful to purchase a rifle. My local gun store (who gets all my business, now) makes it a fun experience. I used to have an FFL back in Ky. The LGS is actually cheaper than Wal Mart's prices, too. Great guy. I go there every week (25 mile drive) just to look around. He has the 25 gr ammo, and I usually pick up a box or two. (no hoarding here) ha ha

Get into reloading, it's a great hobby. I started off with....wait for it... A Lee Loader for my .357 mag. Still remember hammering those cases! LOL! Will it save you $? Doubtful, unless you shoot a LOT. The satisfaction you get is almost unmatched. When I first started deer hunting, I always used factory ammo. I haven't used a factory load in decades. Then again, I don't really hunt anymore, just punch paper....
But I shoot several times/week....

ron

rona
10-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Funny as I got a Lee reloader for my 243 several years ago. Don't use it much any more and I think it would be over kill on p dogs. But it sure put the hurt on a lot of fox back in the days. I got a Savage 223 bolt action a few years back but for some reason it didn't "fit" me and I just never was as accurate with it as I wanted. The way the price has jumped on ammunition takes the fun out of it and that was another reason I went to the B Mag.
Concerning WalMarts we have 3 "super stores" near us and only one sells guns. The other two have ammunition but no 17 Mag. Not even in their records. I might go to the one that sells guns just to see what they have but wouldn't hold my breath. We have Fleet Farm stores which sell tires, fishing gear and all sorts of guns and ammo. I've missed 17 Mag shells there but they did have them. They had 17HMR Hornady for 11.99 which wasn't bad for around here.
We have several small gunsmiths that have started up in the last 3 years but I go to a different one that has been around a long time. He was the one that told me to hold off for a year with the B mag until they get the newness glo wore off and ammo becomes common. Guess I should have listened. He told me he wouldn't order any for at least a year because there was always bugs to work out.

n4ue
10-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Rona. I wish I would have waited. I'm just way too impulsive and convinced myself that the B Mag would be my last rifle. I have the .17 HMR, .17 WSM, and the (reloadable) .17 Hornet. I also have a collection of big bore handguns. Unfortunately, years of shooting IHMSA with both the .44 Mag and my XP-100 (rechambered to 7mm-08) have taken it's toll on my right wrist. I have NO cartlidge left in my wrist, and my .454 Casull did NOT help. ha ha

Speaking of my Local Gun Store. A few months ago, I asked the owner to get me the B Mag. A couple of months later, one of his guys calls me and told me the .17 HMR I ordered was in. Guess what? He was wrong. It was the WSM!! It sold quickly. He has had the ammo from almost day one, and called me last week to tell me they just got in another rifle (WSM). I told him, sorry, I already found one.
The HMR price of $11.99 is excellent for around here (Florida).
All the WMs are starting to get lots of ammo. No .22 lr, but I have all I'll ever need. NO, I didn't hoard it. My 2nd wife shot IHMSA with my 14" T/C in .22 lr, so we bought lots of different ammo to try. A month or so ago, I went to one of the Gander Mtn stores in Ga. They had .22 lr ammo by the PALLET load! I was stunned.
They also have more .17 HMR ammo than the factory, but it's $14.99.......

ron

rona
10-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Gander Mountain has always been higher then the competition around here. One of my sons has a contact with Sheels Sporting goods at Sioux Falls for equipping a fancy eating place and he wanted me to ride along with him to it. They had some Savage B Mags and ammunition a few days ago so am tempted to go for a ride with him and maybe get lucky. Their HMR 17 is higher then Fleet Farm but not sure about the rest of their ammo.
I haven't seen any 25 grain B Mag ammo but some people say it is more accurate in their rifle then the 20 grain. I guess it depends on the individual rifle.
Cabelas used to have a decent selection of ammo but their prices have jumped too. I am thinking eventually we will see over production and prices will fall back.
A few years ago I was involved in corn or wood pellet stoves to heat a home. There was a jump in popularity and a shortage. As a result a potential customer would contact several dealers trying to buy a stove. Each dealer thought that was a potential sale so increased the next order. These large orders made the companys either add onto their factory or add another shift of workers to produce enough stoves to satisfy this demand. Then the price of corn went up and the price of oil dropped and the demand for the stove just vanished leaving the dealer and companys holding the bag on huge numbers of stoves. Some companys went broke and lots of dealers took a hit. Just hard to beat the law of supply and demand.

n4ue
10-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi rona, btw, because of my last name, and a close personal friend named ron, our wives used to call us: 'ronb' and 'ronh'...
Interesting post. As I mentioned there seemed to be more 25 gr east of the Mississippi River and 20 gr to the west, but that is changing.

I'm no prophet, but if the B Mag rifle has 'problems', I HOPE other gun makers don't shy away from the ctg. I think it's a great ctg but would like to see a varmint model of 'something else'.... ha ha If Savage gets enough of the rifles returned (now that they are under new ownership), they might just scrap the model. Remember the 5 mm? I have to wonder if the other mfgs are taking a look-see attitude.
And I'll guarantee that Ruger, etc, have several B Mags in their lab. One of my jobs at IBM was to get competitive machines (a lot of them) and run the heck out of them to see how they performed.

I know a little about supply and demand. When I first started working for IBM (before PCs, showing my age here!), IBM could not make the Selectric typewriter fast enough. They had a HUGE plant in Lexington, Ky and worked 3 shifts/day building them.
As soon as word processors/PCs came out, that was the end of that.

ronb