PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the 110 Chamber

SWAMPFOX
07-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I have a Savage Model 110 .30-06 bolt action and I can seem to be able to get the chamber clean. I can clean the barrel with no problem but getting a brush and patches into the chamber to give it a good cleaning seems dang near impossible. I clean from the breech and use a rod guide when cleaning the barrel. I removed the rod guide to give better access to the chamber but I still have difficulty.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

wbm
07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Gun Slick or Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner is what I use. Let it sit in the chamber and bore for a while, swab out the chamber and bore with alcohol soaked patches, follow with a couple of dry cotton patches and you should be good to go.

Another method would be to purchase a chamber brush tool used on the 30-06 M1 Garand. They don't cost much and they will definitely get the job done.

BillPa
07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I suggest the Sinclair tools. http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/action/chamber-cleaning-tools/sinclair-action-cleaning-tool-kit-prod35492.aspx

In addition to those I also use a pistol rod with a nylon or bronze brush wrapped with a paper towel to apply solvent and dry a
the chamber. With a little effort the brush/towel will conform to the chamber especially the critical areas, the shoulder,gap space and freebore.

Bill

dcloco
07-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Cotton bore mop for a shotgun works rather well for cleaning chambers.

Silvercrow1
07-24-2013, 07:55 PM
I use a bronze handgun bristle brush-you can judge the diameter needed by comparing it to the diameter of the shell casing- likewise the diameter of the bullet. A little larger; it will still fit. Then a bore mop using the same method for appropriate diameter. I have an extra long handgun rod that makes it easy to access and scrub these areas. Of course be careful- you are cleaning in a critical area. This always has worked for me. The above suggestion for a specific chamber brush sounds great too- however I've seen chamber brushes with really hard bristles- I suspect some might be stainless steel. I'd never go with such a hard brush. I was taught and always go by using a SOFTER metal that the composition of the metal you are cleaning.

Glock handguns used to ship (maybe still do) with nylon bristle brushes and a nylon rod. I'd imagine these would be perfect.

Brian

SWAMPFOX
07-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I was thinking about chucking a piece of a cleaning rod in my drill. Then using a Kroil-soaked bronze brush slowly spin the brush in the chamber. Follow that with a bore mop wrapped with patches to dry it.
Will brushing the chamber in this manner be a bad move?
Thanks.

82boy
07-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Cotton bore mop for a shotgun works rather well for cleaning chambers.
+ 1

dcloco
07-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Do you want to clean or polish? I keep the bore mops seperate - once soaked with Hoppes or carb cleaner...and another for polishing - either Montana Extreme cream or Flitz.

SWAMPFOX
07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
dcloco...I never even considered polishing the chamber. Can you elaborate on how that's done?
Thanks.

dcloco
07-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Bore mop coated with Flitz or Montana Extreme cream - slow speed drill. Mix some lightweight oil in if you wish (10 weight or KROIL).

efm77
07-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I use a bore mop for a .410 for 30-06 size chambers and also belted magnum chambers sprayed with a little Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. I give them a little sping in the chamber with my chamber rod, let it dry, and call it good. Also keeps the chamber from getting too much excess oil in it too so that the brass can grip the chamber wall upon firing. I can't hardly get a 50 caliber mop to fit in my belted magnum chambers but it fits pretty good in my WSM chamber since it's slightly larger diameter.

rattfink
07-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Medical q-tips, the ones that are about 6 inches long.

davemuzz
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
+500 with the Kroil and Flitz combo. I once had a flintlock BP barrel that had.....let's say a rough spot about half way down the barrel due to some negligence by the owner. (Who me?) Yeah, I'm ashamed to admit that I did a poor job of cleaning it at the end of the year. So, I took a bore mop (shotgun) Flitz and some oil, and probably about 30 to 40 strokes and that rough spot was gone forever. BTW....the gun still shot great!!!

Dave

SWAMPFOX
07-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Dave, +500 is what?
Thanks.