PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 11 - Bolt is hard to open , need instructions on where to polish

Pages : 1 [2]

FW Conch
07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Guess you forgot the "Ziplock" bag?

Bennybone
07-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Guess you forgot the "Ziplock" bag?

That is a good idea. I was just in a rush and figured I could do it right.

Oh well I have 5 days to sit and think about my mistake. :p

BB

Nandy
07-26-2013, 12:13 AM
I assume you did this in your home, if so get you one of them magnets from harbor freights and start sweeping... or better yet, empty and clean the vacuum cleaner good, then vacuum around the place then empty in container and use the magnet. Not only you better your chances to find the part but the wife will be very happy!!!!

nastynatesfish
07-26-2013, 02:36 PM
The way I smooth out a rough action is to get a bottle of jewelers rouge. Put it on every part of the bolt that contacts a moving part. Sit in front of the tv and work the action till I realize I've been doing it all day. It'll help smooth out an action nice. Clean with some beak cleaner and then I use a mix of blue goop and some moly from the plant. Buttery smooth

nastynatesfish
07-26-2013, 02:39 PM
I found the trigger sting from my rifle hanging off my curtain in the reloading room, about 8 months later lol.

Bennybone
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
I found the trigger sting from my rifle hanging off my curtain in the reloading room, about 8 months later lol.

Savage is sending out a new part, it'll be in next week.

I'm sure the lost washer will materialize shortly thereafter :p

I went searching for some Moly Lube, none to be found at Cabelas or Army/Navy/Etc...

Thanks for the tips on working the action, once I get this all pieced back together if the bolt lift is still tough I will work the action handle up and down a couple of thousand times.

BB

nastynatesfish
07-26-2013, 03:28 PM
I work in a copper mine that pulls alot of moly also. I just take some. If you'd like to try some of my stuff. Pm me. Ill get something out to you. Google search BLU GOOP

brasse
07-26-2013, 05:11 PM
The longer bolt handle will be a nce addition too. Midways sells them for under $30, stainless or black

Bennybone
07-27-2013, 01:43 AM
UPDATE: I added a video to the original post that follows along with where I am at to this point.

I need a favor - Can someone lookup for me in a gunsmith manual what the overall length from tip of the firing pin to base of the cocking pin should measure. And or provide measurements for factory settings of the adjustable firing pin.

If anyone cares to share or PM me with your experiences on adjusting the firing pin for optimal travel and spring pressure as it relates to 100% functionality and reducing bolt lift I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

BB

Nandy
07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Here is how to adjust your fire pin:
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?143-Firing-Pin-Protrusion-Data

In a nutshell fire pin optimum length is .035. There is more to it, just read the article.

Bennybone
07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks Nandy!

BB

Bennybone
07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
I got the bolt put back together today, oil up the bolt assembly and reinstalled it in the gun.

No difference in bolt lift force :eek:

Ordering an extended bolt handle and calling this good. At least I learned alot about how the gun is put together.

Thanks all for your advice and guidance, I will keep the gun handy during night time television and work the action.

BB

82boy
07-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Bad news is no matter how much polishing you do to your Savage parts it will not "slick up."

Hate to say it. but....

Bennybone
07-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Hate to say it. but....

....You told me so :black_eyed:

Thanks

BB

Nandy
07-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Can I join in?

you will not get much improvement without a T&T...

LOL!

Bennybone
07-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Can I join in?

LOL!

:deadhorse:

Yes you May, I prefer my humble pie warm with a side of ice cream!

I didn't think there was any problem that a good bit of polishing and "mirroring" couldn't overcome, then I met the Savage bolt.

BB

82boy
07-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Word of advise, a longer bolt handle will make a bit of difference. Just don't get one of the Savage factory BT handles they are way too heavy and will cause other problems especially with an accu-trigger set at low weights. Find one of the aftermarket handles, or grind the knob down of your handle and thread it, and get a PT&G knob.

Willoughby
07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
if you can weld
you can cut your original & add an inch
pretty easy

Nandy
07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
:deadhorse:

It is all in good spirits! However the horse is far from dead, give it a week and you will see another soul asking the same question. I think we all have been there, but after the T&T I had done to my first savage I swore every other action will get that treatment. That is the bad thing about good things, once you try them you have to have it... lol! Have a good day!