PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Schnabel forends

gmarr
07-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Good evening,

Does anyone have a source for a schnabel forend for my model 99? I've been looking and can't seem to find one. Any help will be appreciated.

NHdanski
08-01-2013, 05:50 AM
I had a hard time finding a source as well. I guess I didn't type in the right search words or look long or hard enough.
Anyway, I have an old 300 model 99 that had too many splits in the forend.
The folks in the link below have all sorts of Savage 99 stocks and forends. Prices are very good compared to what I have seen elsewhere for stocks. My order is in transit so I cannot say how good or bad the quality is.
If you have any sources of wood hardware for same please let me know.
Thanks,
Dan
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-stocks.htm

bczrx
02-09-2014, 12:05 PM
How did the forend work out?

NHdanski
02-09-2014, 07:27 PM
How did the forend work out?
I promptly received the forends from the vendor and they look like the wood is good quality. The dimensions were left "proud" to enable fitting the hardware and the barrel.
However, there was way too much fitting required and further machining needed to enable a swap out with my existing hardware. In order not to screw up what I already had I tried to scrounge around and put together a complete spare set of irons before I attempted to do the wood work. I have acquired some, but not all of the parts I need.
I need to set up the forend in my lathe to bore out a matching contour to accept the barrel of the Savage. This will require an offset jig so that I can swing the forend and still cut the bore larger without intersecting the wood or the jig during the cutting.
I was getting a head hernia trying to figure out how to set things up and decided to glue the current forend to see if that would stabilize things for the present. It did and I put the new forend job on the back shelf until I am bored silly or really caught up with all the other stuff I have on my plate.
Bottom line, good quality base product, but nowhere near a plug and play replacement for anything that is already on a gun.