PDA

View Full Version : First timer Duracoat

TraverseSavage
07-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Just wanted to show a couple pics of my Hog. I guess I shouldn't call it that anymore since there is little resemblance to the Hog Hunter. Anyway, sprayed and let parts hang for three weeks for a full cure. So far so good, seems durable enough.http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/slurpeemcnacho/100_4749.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/slurpeemcnacho/100_4752.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/slurpeemcnacho/100_4750.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/slurpeemcnacho/100_4753.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/slurpeemcnacho/100_4751.jpg

missed
07-23-2013, 03:26 PM
What stock is than ?

concepthomes1
07-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Did you coat the scope base separate then attach?

Sent from my over-rated Motorola cell phone with a poorly serviced AT&T plan.

TraverseSavage
07-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Nope sprayed with base attached. Figured if I ever had to remove the base I would just spray again. Duracoat is easy to apply and prep plus it's a very fine mist and enters small cracks and meeting points.

@Missed - B&C varmint stock

concepthomes1
07-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Did you use the Shake and Spray all in one kit?

Sent from my MB886

snowgetter1
07-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Looks great.

03mossy
07-24-2013, 10:28 PM
That turned out great! Nicely done!

1983Weatherby
07-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Looks awesome!

teddy12b
08-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Very nice paint job setup and very nice rig as a whole. Are those the sights that came on the gun from the factory? I'm curious how well you can see the sights over the scope base.

TraverseSavage
08-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the accolades guys. @concept: No, used an air brush hooked up to a compressor. @teddy: No, I switched out those sights. I got them from Williams and I do see over the base quite well. The sights will be for close quarters when I have a suppressor mounted for shooting deer at night in the vineyard - yes, legal here (suppressor and night deer killing) for pest management. And I've done the measuring and I should also be able to see over the can as well.

sub-sonic .308 with a can sounds like a stick breaking, reeeeaaaallllyyy quiet, won't wake the neighbors.

teddy12b
08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Very nice! have you taken that rifle out to see what kind of distance you can shoot with it? Everything I have eventually goes out to the range to get it's legs stretched out.

What's your average group you're getting with that beast? Accuracy reports are kind of hard to come by for the hog hunter rifles.

TraverseSavage
08-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Very nice! have you taken that rifle out to see what kind of distance you can shoot with it? Everything I have eventually goes out to the range to get it's legs stretched out.

What's your average group you're getting with that beast? Accuracy reports are kind of hard to come by for the hog hunter rifles.

Just put 20 180ers through it at 50 yards. Was shooting at a mini beer keg center mass. Want to go out to 300 max open sights but I may have to change the aperture/ring to a smaller diameter for that. My goal is a paper plate at 300 yards without scope for low light shooting of pest deer.

I wanna use 168's if I can find...bullet supply is dangerously low around here. :)

Also want to put a CDI bottom metal on her very soon and will top her off with a Vortex for un-suppressed shooting at further distances.

Great low-cost build so far: Hog hunter, base, stock, sights, and spray I've got $675 into it. More importantly, I'm getting EXACTLY what I wanted out of the rifle.

Will have a scope on her soon and will give accuracy report when I do. Gotta believe she's (or I should say he since I named her/him Hector, like Hector Savage [suh-vaj] from the Naked Gun movie) gonna be a nice shooter. Can't wait to get a can either. I read that a sub-sonic 168 gr. .308 at 300 yards (which coincidentally is the longest shot I will have) has the same knock down power as a .45 at point-blank range. Caaaan't wait....

teddy12b
08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I like where you're headed with planning on using the CDI bottom metal. I think that'd be nice touch especially for what you're going to use it for you could run into a case where a quick mag change gets you back in the game and saves the day.

Here's a rifle I did a duracoat on and made into my own. Not to the extent that you did, but I'm still pretty happy with how it turns out. I don't have any better pictures than my Savage family picture, but the tan one in the middle is one I did a duracoat shake & spray kit on and I've been very happy with it.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/teddy12b/IMG_20130616_122647_424A_zps95ce739a.jpg (http://s260.photobucket.com/user/teddy12b/media/IMG_20130616_122647_424A_zps95ce739a.jpg.html)

There's something to be said for making a rifle your own. The tan one is a 10FP-SR in 223 that I used as a test for duracoating. I get some wear on the bolt and places that it rubs, but otherwise it's solid.

TraverseSavage
08-09-2013, 03:41 PM
I like where you're headed with planning on using the CDI bottom metal. I think that'd be nice touch especially for what you're going to use it for you could run into a case where a quick mag change gets you back in the game and saves the day.

Here's a rifle I did a duracoat on and made into my own. Not to the extent that you did, but I'm still pretty happy with how it turns out. I don't have any better pictures than my Savage family picture, but the tan one in the middle is one I did a duracoat shake & spray kit on and I've been very happy with it.

There's something to be said for making a rifle your own. The tan one is a 10FP-SR in 223 that I used as a test for duracoating. I get some wear on the bolt and places that it rubs, but otherwise it's solid.

Yeah, for what I'm doing I contemplated using an AR platform but couldn't overcome the reliability issues I'd have with subsonic. I like having a mag, just used to it I suppose after serving. Plus, the CDI has a metal trigger guard incorporated into the DBM which I wanted to replace anyway

I like your rigs, nice job on the spray. I've ran into the same issue with duracoat on another rifle I own; wearing off on the bolt I sprayed as an experiment. I decided not to spray the hog's bolt especially the bolt head. I duracoated mainly for looks, although I can see where this stuff can have it's uses on bare metal. I left some other components factory black to give some uniformity with the black stock.

What scope is that on the tan shooter? I'm looking prolly up to a 9 or 12 power and least 44mm.

Chrazy-Chris
08-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Was the area around the safety difficult? I plan on duracoating mine Matte Black because I want the new barrel to match the receiver. Since the receiver is already black, I was considering just masking off the whole rear tang area altogether because it looks like a pain.

teddy12b
08-11-2013, 07:47 PM
The tan one has a Bushnell 3200 elite 10x on it. It tracks 100% and has been a great scope. If you're looking for a variable Is take a look at the vortex viper pst series. The black rifle on the top of the picture has a vortex PST 6-24 FDP on it and I can't say enough about how much easier it is to shoot to 1,000 yards. I think they make a PST in the power range you're looking at.

TraverseSavage
08-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Was the area around the safety difficult? I plan on duracoating mine Matte Black because I want the new barrel to match the receiver. Since the receiver is already black, I was considering just masking off the whole rear tang area altogether because it looks like a pain.

Not at all. I wanted the safety to remain black so after removing the action I also removed the trigger ass. and safety - didn't have to mask anything there. Easy to spray too.

EDIT: Although I did mask the little red safety dot with blue tape, that was challenging.

Chrazy-Chris
08-13-2013, 09:49 PM
I've never removed the trigger assembly from the receiver... is it difficult to put back together?