PDA

View Full Version : 2 screws satisfactory for base?

Pages : 1 [2]

quarterbore
07-24-2013, 11:05 PM
I had a std Leupold 1 piece base with burris signature rings on the rifle before. I had the .020 insert in the rear adding 20 moa, the front ring had a .010 insert subtracting 10 moa. That gave me a 30 moa base essentially. The rifle has a round front and a flat rear on the receiver, so there's only 1 way to mount the base. I believe that the action was milled incorrectly when it was originally made. I did some reading on the subject awhile ago when I first ran into this problem and the consensus was that Savage had some qc problems with the flat backed receivers.

Westcliffe01
07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
So if you remove your bolt and bore sight the rifle (get an aiming point at 50 yards centered in the bore with the rifle on a stable rest), then check where the scope is pointed at. A 20 minute base should put the scope aiming point 20 min below where the bore is pointed at.

It doesn't matter at the end. The question is really whether you can zero at an acceptable range to you, and when you are done, how much up elevation is remaining. Being 8" low at 35 yards suggests you will be rather low on elevation by the time you have zeroed if it is even possible.

Did you try applying pressure at the front base hole position without any screws in the rear to see if that creates a gap at the rear ? If that is the case, then you can use bedding compound to bed the rear of the base (without tightening the rear screws !) to allow it to be installed stress free and hopefully with the right angle. When it is all set up and cured for 24 hours, then you can torque the rear screws and re-install the rings and scope.

quarterbore
07-25-2013, 07:06 PM
I know for a fact that with the std base and 30 moa of elevation added the old scope that was on it was mechanically centered and pretty much spot on. This makes sense to me being 8" low with only 20 moa of added elevation. I'm planning on shimming the rear of the base an additional .020-.030 depending on the thickness of feeler gauge I can get, and having plenty of long range adjustment. I'll keep everyone posted once I start messing with it, it will be next week sometime.

emtrescue6
07-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I had a std Leupold 1 piece base with burris signature rings on the rifle before. I had the .020 insert in the rear adding 20 moa, the front ring had a .010 insert subtracting 10 moa. That gave me a 30 moa base essentially. The rifle has a round front and a flat rear on the receiver, so there's only 1 way to mount the base. I believe that the action was milled incorrectly when it was originally made. I did some reading on the subject awhile ago when I first ran into this problem and the consensus was that Savage had some qc problems with the flat backed receivers.

No...that gave you a 10 MOA base...

quarterbore
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
I had the .020 insert in the rear with the + .20 on the bottom, I had a .010 insert in the front with the -.010 on the bottom. That gave me + .030 moa. Adding .020 in the rear and taking away .010 in the front is a .030 cant toward the front.

bootsmcguire
07-25-2013, 10:05 PM
I had the .020 insert in the rear with the + .20 on the bottom, I had a .010 insert in the front with the -.010 on the bottom. That gave me + .030 moa. Adding .020 in the rear and taking away .010 in the front is a .030 cant toward the front.

yup sure should.