PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Caught The Savage Bug..and I LIKE IT! Bolt Mod.

Silvercrow1
07-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Hey All- First off you gotta understand that for all the years I've been involved in handgunning, I never did any serious mods- change a main spring housing, mount drop in sights, wolff sprig package etc. was my limit. So at work last night things are slooow, and I got to thinking about modding my bolt handle. My buddy gave me a pretty cool aluminum knob, tapered and cylindrical with a slight knurl, that was drilled and tapped for a 5/16-24 thread. I read Thomae's thread about grinding an existing bolt knob round, but I never threaded anything. And grind something THAT perfect...yeah, and my grandmaw is Lady Godiva!
The existing bolt / knob is short; the knob is sorta like a Hershey's kiss- flat on the "outside" and also flat where your thumb goes- that flat having a coarse set of grooves, I'd guess 24 LPI. The handle at the beginning of the knob is very small diameter.

So I started by drilling a hole in the knob on the "outside" flat. I'm NO MACHINIST but I remembered really quick about heat treated metals when the drill in the drill press started dancing around:o Over to the grinder to take off a little metal. My first hint SHOULD have been my inability to get a center punch to mark a divot for the drill!

Starting to sweat, I carefully drilled pilot holes until I got to the proper drill for the tap. Never tapped anything before, but YouTube said anyone can do it and the video showed a guy that looked an inexperienced as me..or so I thought..
Turn, break the chip, turn, etc etc. HEY I can do this stuff. WELL- I went a little too far with the drill and broke through a smidge; about a 1/16th inch hole. OK- I'll use some JB Weld (a good friend to me lately) to fix that flaw. Hopefully it will be OK.

Made a "stud" from a 5/16th - 24 machine bolt. Wonder of wonders- it actually screwed into the hole. AND I didn't screw up the threads on the other side. Even a broken clock is right twice a day! To the grinder and ground the knob away to a pretty darn good rod shape to match where the new knob will attach. Left the stud two threads or so long so I could use the JB to make a good transition, but probably wouldn't have needed it!

So tomorrow sanding and painting flat black. I've been threatening to post pictures and tomorrow I'm GOING to re-access my Photobucket account. I'll have time in the PM.

Folks- all this stuff I learned from this board. I know you people know this- but this is a terrific board-a treasure of information and the members are top notch! I am humbled and pleased to be a member. Lord blessed me with some OT last week, so I'm joining as a paid member and getting those Burris Sig. Rings I need for the scope mount on this gun.

THANKS...Sorry so long but I'm excited. Brian

stangfish
07-21-2013, 11:04 PM
:first:

Silvercrow1
07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks man...:redface-new:

JW
07-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Good deal Brian
You have officially become "one" LOL

thomae
07-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Nice writeup, Brian. It sounds like a nice job, too....can't wait for your pictures.

Silvercrow1
07-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi All- I just KNOW everyone is waiting with bated breath for the pics:rolleyes:. This afternoon I re-gained entry to the ancient photo-bucket account, but did not have time to work on getting pictures taken. Tonight someone's coming over to help with computer issues. In the meantime I'll take pics and either post 'em late tonight or tomorrow morning. Brian

stangfish
07-22-2013, 06:25 PM
I am blue in the face....hurry!

brasse
07-22-2013, 07:46 PM
stangfish, we thought that was your natural color.

He is just teasing us.

Silvercrow1
07-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Well..if a caveman can do it...(ahem)

So hopefully this will "come out". Not entirely happy with the "transition" between the new bolt knob and the handle; the handle/rod is very thin in diameter. Honest opinions/comments feedback appreciated. Thanks for all your support/guidance, Brian

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l591/silvercrow1/Misc7-2013124.jpg

fgw_in_fla
07-23-2013, 01:37 PM
After all the build up you only show us one photo???

I demand a refund.

Looks pretty nice just the same. A little different than the usual BA bolt knob variation.

Silvercrow1
07-23-2013, 01:47 PM
LOL Ya gets what 'cha pays for...FGW- seriously, I'll be taking more- just successfully uploaded and avatar pic; it's my Savage rimfire MKII. I need to go back and look to see how to post a pic without clicking a link, in photobucket. More to come...like I said, not real happy with the transition but I guess not bad for a FNG :redface-new:

Silvercrow1
07-23-2013, 10:17 PM
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l591/silvercrow1/Savage110223LA001.jpg

Some more pics of the bolt handle and the gun itself. I made the cheekriser from the arm pad of a discarded wheelchair at work. It was long and I had to cut a section out and reconnect it. Trying to go for a sort of Chohate / tacticool thing. The arm-pad is remarkably similar to a commercial cheek riser I saw for sale on Amazon; matter of fact I thought it might indeed be fashioned from a similar arm pad, albeit smaller..

So the net post will have two pics of the gun. Sporting a Nikon 4-12x40 Prostaff- very clear and a real blessing as I got the "display model" AND it was on clearance for $129.00! (Normal retail I think was $189.00). The cheek riser lines my eye up perfectly (dumb luck as I did no measuring height/wise). I can pop it off easily yet it is still secure- two "spring" pins JB welded into the bottom of the riser fit snugly into corresponding holes in the stock. Brian

Silvercrow1
07-23-2013, 10:19 PM
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l591/silvercrow1/429056bf-ddc4-4f53-a3dc-83568e8c968a.jpg

Crappy photos..still learning how to use my wife's camera...Brian

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l591/silvercrow1/Savage110223LA008.jpg

In both these shots the riser looks to be riding up a little; it is! I don't have it pushed all the way down! When I get the bolt back together I'll take some good outdoor pics of the rifle. Thanks for looking everyone!

Brian

eddiesindian
07-23-2013, 10:57 PM
NICE!