PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Broke my .17 hornet

Orange_Crush
07-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Saturday while shooting at the local rifle range - I started having trouble opening the bolt and extracting spent casings. Finally as I opened the bolt the last time, the extractor fell off in my hand.

Guess the little 25 is going back to Savage again.

I still kind of like the little rifle, but it's been kind of a pain in the butt.

The extractor and the little parts behind it seem really flimsy.

davemuzz
07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm still having problems with chambering rounds. What I seem to have it "zeroed" down to is the cartridge begins to enter the chamber at an angle....(now, as a side note here on these M-25's in .17-Hornet's there is a small tube that protrudes from the chamber where the .17 Hornet cartridge feeds into)....into this previously described tube. However, what I see is that the cartridge "sticks" or "jams" in this tube. When I pull the bolt back it allows the cartridge to move or drop (gravity is now your friend) and then a re-push on the bolt will get the cartridge into the chamber.

So, what I think is these tubes or chambering tubes....or whatever they are called, are of a very tight tolerance to the brass. So, I think when they get a little dirty the chambering issue is just going to happen.

My guess.....and it's just a guess....is that Savage is polishing out these tubes so that the brass can enter them, even if there is some normal powder "dirt" in the tube.

But....that's my two cents on it.

Dave

Orange_Crush
07-21-2013, 07:23 PM
I hope so Dave. This is the second time mine has been sent back to Savage. Glad I have other rifles to shoot while its gone :) I have to say that after shooting the little seventeen- my .223 seems like a cannon :)

XNAVYORDIE
07-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Mine is at Savage now. I have always thought that "tube" was one of the many issues on this rifle. I won't be sending it back again if it comes back still a problem. I'll deep six the POS to some other poor soul and beg the man up stairs for forgiveness....

My faith in Savage has declined greatly....how could they let these things pass QA and out of the factory? SHAME SHAME SHAME