PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shack trigger : SSS Competition trigger ?

Westcliffe01
07-21-2013, 02:01 PM
So does anyone have experience with the trigger being sold by Gun Shack which they describe as a SSS Competition trigger ? This would be for one of my model 10/12/112/116 builds.

So far I have been put off using the SSS trigger because of their insistence to the action needing to be trued and timed and the time and cost associated with that. I have not been impressed with the Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger that I got on a recent rifle I bought, so I'm looking for a better quality unit.

The price is also modest <$100. Too good to be true ? If this is a viable trigger I would like to get one on trial ASAP.

http://www.gunshack.com/image/cache/data/SSS-CT-250x250.jpg

http://www.gunshack.com/SSS-CT

JackinSD
07-21-2013, 02:05 PM
The SSS competition trigger is not the one that needs to have the action trued and timed. That would be the Evolution trigger. I have the competition trigger and it works very very well.

Hosted
07-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Westcliffe, what don't you like about the Sav2? I have been trying to decide between the Sav2 and the SSS for a while and was leaning towards the Sav2.

Westcliffe01
07-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Usually when you think of a trigger upgrade one imagines something of precision. To get a narrow sear engagement it usually implies that all parts are held in the correct relationship, all pivot pins are tight (no slop) and that the trigger itself is properly supported laterally so that one would expect no perceptible side play. The Shilen trigger I bought for my last Remington was a perfect example. Every surface machined, sides blanchard ground, engagement surfaces honed. A thing of precision for $99.

Unfortunately, none of those descriptions applied to the Sav 2 trigger that I recently got with a rifle I bought. Every fit was sloppy. It was as if every hole in every part had been drilled in a drill press and then pins 0.005" undersize were put in every hole with a circlip on each side to stop it falling out. The trigger blade was a terrible sloppy fit in the housing with at least 0.010" of side clearance. If you put your finger on the trigger you could move it at least 1/16th" left and right.

There was just no way I would have ever considered spending $170 on such a piece of junk. The factory accutrigger has nowhere near the amount of slop, nor does the pre-accutriggger. Maybe my example was a lemon, but it is truly hard for me to imagine why someone would ever buy it. I traded it 1:1 for a regular Accutrigger and was very happy.

If you decide you want to try one anyway, make sure you have the option to return it if you need to. I should also say that as received, the trigger would discharge as soon as the bolt was closed. I had to move the pivot position to the heaviest hole position before I got any sort of reliable operation out of it.

I know that the gun it was on had hardly been fired. It had hardly been fired since the barrel was loose enough to be able to turn by hand because the barrel nut had not been properly tightened and was interfering with the location pin of the (incorrect) recoil lug which had been fitted. Somewhat of a basket case when I got it, but after a few hours work and a replacement (Savage) trigger I used it to shoot my first 1/4" group

http://www.fotoshack.us/fotos/11583175smk-02.JPG

bobcat30
07-23-2013, 12:35 AM
I would just buy the SSS trigger no worries